Default I have a 4x8 sheet of that clip board material (hardboard) for a bench top.

Never Enough Money wrote:
I would not glue it down -- I'd screw it down with countersunk holes
and just make sure I never ran a tool over the screws. My friends
who've (ok my friend singular) used hardboard as a bench top don't even
finish it -- they just replace it every couple of years....

Jim wrote:
This is about 3/16 thick hardboard, the hard as nails oiled stuff I guess.
It was recommended for a benchtop.
Should I glue it down? It will be on MDF and bounces a bit just laying there. I
might need to get it off someday to replace it.
Is there any reason to finish this stuff. I was going to give it a coat of
Briwax and that's about it.

If you do that, use brass screws. They are only more expensive up to
the first time you hit one with a chisel, plane blade, drill bit or
saw.

--

FF