Gunner Asch

Default New use for a bandsaw

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 12:11:21 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Jeff Wisnia" wrote: Maybe before you wrote that you should have stopped
ranting long enough to think about what Jim might really have been saying?
(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jeff, the objectionable part of Jim's post is: "And they make sure that
their wives and daughters have jumper cables and know how to use them
safely." If you can't see that, let me try to explain. There is an implied
meaning in that statement that women, as a group, are less qualified to do
simple mechanical tasks. Even if you can justify the statement
statistically, that is not the point. It carries the meaning that men are
superior to women in this regard, and need to look after them. Had he said,
"And they make sure that the other members of their family have jumper
cables and know how to use them safely," there would be no objection.

And so you think we should refrain from phrasing things in a manner
which correlates to obviousities?

It's all in the genetics, Leo.

If you've read any of Jared Diamond's works ("Guns, Germs and Steel",
"The Third Chimpanzee", or "Why Is Sex Fun.") you probably noted that
from the time man stood upright, his role has been that of the the
hunter, the tool maker, and the physical defender of his family. Women
have been intelligent and caring family unifiers and supporters. Most of
the men and women of today's world population still exemplify those
characteristics.

Civilization wouldn't have made it to the (somewhat sorry) state we're
at now without it being that way. Both genders need and depend on the
inherent traits qualities of the other to survive.

Sure there are lots of exceptions, but firing off a rant about Jim's
remark has me wondering if handysmurf sleepst on garnet paper sheets to
make her that sensitive.

I'm pretty sure most of the ladies I'm aquainted with would accept Jim's
words as being accurately descriptive of the status quo, and if pressed
would probably make some sort of self-deprecating joking remark about
their own lack of jumper cable prowess, as would I about being born
without a "style gene".

Jeeze, now I know how Larry Summers must have felt earlier this year:

http://tinyurl.com/6ajqs

Peace,

Jeff

I believe I found the problem Mr. Summers had....

"''Here was this economist lecturing pompously [to] this room full of
the country's most accomplished scholars on women's issues "

Women who have made a career of, in many cases...spewing bogus or ill
conceived agendas with little connection to reality.

I should mention that my sister, is a very well thought of engineer
with two doctorates in hard sciences, and has been a tomboy since she
could walk. She has never married, so children were never an issue,
but only because many men feel ill at ease with a woman smarter or
handier then they. Her latest boyfriend seems to be at least as smart
and as handy as she is..so its been a good match for the last 8 or so
years.

But even she admists to being a rare anomoly among her female peers.

And damn she can run a pretty weld bead...sigh....

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner