Ed Huesers

Default 4" Abrasive cuttoff saw

Chuck Sherwood wrote:
I'm looking for a 4" abrasive cutoff saw and finding that they are
pretty expensive for what they are.

What do these do that make them so much more expensive than a 14"

Must be low volume.

More than likely. Of all the mold shops I've worked in, there has
only been one 4" chop saw. That was the Con-Saw one and it worked quite
well on a 3/8" ejector pin and did work on a 1/2" well enough if you
didn't have to many to do.

A little cutoff saw can do lots of things
that a big one cannot. Like cut small screws, HSS toolbits,
piano wire etc. The blade is only 1/32 wide.

Yeah, it's better than wearing down the corner of the grinding wheel
so you can break the tool bit. I like my wheel corners sharp for
thinning the web of small drills.

I can also put a slitting saw blade in my coastel saw and cut
thin brass tubing wood, plastic etc.

I've got one job that is 1/8 X 1 aluminum bar stock. I'll try it on
that once I find one.
Heh, I found the Harbor Freight one on E-Bay for $26 [new] and have
received it. It'll go to my home shop, maybe when I get old I'll be into
making models or something. It struggled to cut a 1/4" ejector pin and
an 1/8" one was bad enough.
I see the $450 unit has 1/2 hp. and this one:
http://www.coasteltools.com/prod_ct3.htm has 1/5 hp.
I think I'd better pay for what I want.

Ed Huesers
http://www.grandshelters.com