LJ

Default Advice needed on the basement seepage problem

My late two cents --- always keep the gutters working, but wait to see
what happens during the next similar rainfall. I learned my lesson
about gutters -- I now check my gutters about every 5-6 weeks spring
thru fall because there are a lot of mature trees around here. Much
different than my last house; newer subdivision with smaller trees. It
was something I had not experiened nor anticipated when I moved here.
Part of the learning curve, I guess.

I have seen seepage in my 1930 no-sump basement 3 times in 18 months.
Twice the downspouts were plugged (my own fault, too lazy to check
them)...and the majority of the seepage was close to the gutter
overflow area. The third time was the rainiest May ever on record in
my midwest state. That time the seepage came from a few different
areas. I knew three people with normally bone-dry basements & sumps
for 20 years seeing seepage that month. One of them was a house I
lived in for eight years and NEVER saw a drop of water in that
basement. I asked two contractor friends about this (my concern was
having a leaky basement and disclosure laws)...they said with the rain
that month, even the best basement might see some seepage. My basement
has been perfectly dry for two years now, as long as I check the
gutters regularly. Perhaps even proper drainage systems can be
overwhelmed at times, depending on conditions. My basement is a tad
more humid than houses with a sump, but I run a dehumidifier (summer
months) which keeps molds or musty smells at bay.

Regrading might not be a bad thing, if a professional suggested it. It
certainly wouldn't hurt, as long as it didn't mean removing/replacing
a lot of landscaping. My home inspector made several good suggestions
for the house I'm in now; I felt he earned the fee. And even though
I've been a DIY homeowner for 20 years prior, I still learned a lot
from him.

On 12 Oct 2005 13:28:56 -0700, "voshki" wrote:
Hi there,
We moved to a 6 years old home two years. It is a traditional home with
finished basement. During the home inspection, the inspector told us to
re-grading the back of my house.

But I never pay attention to it, until recent hurricane and heavy
rainfall made a slight seepage in the basement. The seepage is small
and it at the bottom of the block wall, close the foundation.

I am thinking that do the gutter cleaning (1) and the re-grading (3).
Since the inspector already told me to do so. But I am not sure.