Gunner Asch

Default Key cutter/Benchmaster MH2 question answered

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 01:51:18 GMT, "David R. Birch"
wrote:

Daniel A. Mitchell wrote:

If it's the same as the third picture referenced, it' sjust a standard
Benchmaster horizontal milling machne with the overarm support fitted
(it's removeble). It's a very nice, if small and simple, horizontal
milling machine. It's as good as any other in it's size and weight
range, though it lacks refinements like power feed and backgear.

Beware that many of these were used in light production settings, as
'second operation' machines, and had rack and pinion feeds. Such are not
nearly as useful for most home shop purposes.

The same basic machien ws offered as a vertical mill, and it was about a
half hour job to convert from Hor. to Vert. if you had ALL the parts.

I have one bought as a vertical, and since converted to a horizontal
with a mix of Benchmaster and self-made parts. It's only shortcomming as
a vertical is the lack of a quill downfeed. While that can be a bother,
it's really not terribly limiting in what you can do with it. I
converted mine to a horizontal simply because I got a larger and better
vertical mill.

Dan Mitchell

I have a horizontal Benchmaster similar to the second one
pictured. It came with a ram for the X axis, which I replaced
with a lead screw somewhat like those of the Y & Z axes. Some
years ago, ('98?) I uploaded to the drop box some scans of a
brochure I received from the guy out in the PRK who claimed to
support the machine. He apparently had no stock of parts, made
them as ordered and his prices were about what you'd expect for
set up and cutting one part. I called him to talk about what I
needed for the X axis. Surly and hostile are mild, maybe he'd
just had a fight w/ his SO, although I've heard similar reports
from others.

Anyway, the Benchmaster is a lot better made and sturdier than
the average import mill/drill, although I miss a quill feed. I've
seen pix of a Benchmaster with a Bridgeport M head on it, seemed
a bit top heavy!

David

David

If anyone wants one..Ive a decent enough Burke horizontal production
miller, bench top of course, that I can bring to the show this coming
weekend in Visalia. Its got a 3ph motor on it..easily enough changed
out. Needs paint, but everything seems to work well enough.

Lever action in two axis.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner