John Schmitt

Default Perspex - trying to find a supplier

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:55:21 +0100, Mr Fizzion
wrote:

They have it (clear acrylic sheet, not actually Perspex) in my local
B&Q.

Well that is perspex isn't it?

Yes and no. The differences in capitalisation of the word rather give it
away. Is your hoover a Hoover, an Elecrolux or a Dyson? Certain products
like Rawlplug become generic terms in common usage. In the UK perspex is a
generic word for PMMA plastic, whereas Perspex was a registered trade
name. In the US, lucite is the generic term for plastics like Lucite
(TM)(a PMMA), who now actually own the Perspex trade mark. If my memory
serves, the Perspex trademark originated at ICI.

John Schmitt