Tom Wait

Default Gatling gun

"DeepDiver" wrote in message

It takes a continuing motion to produce continuous firing. Now, if

you
hook up a motor to drive the crank, that's different. It becomes a
minigun,
very Class III.

Yup

Which again goes to show how absurd gun control laws are.

I agree. But I'll qualify that and say 'some' gun laws are absurd.
Turning by hand good. Turning by motor = bad.
True, yet one can roughly double th' number of rounds fired per min.
with a motor feed over hand cranked... if th' weapon is operating

correctly.
Turning by hand, 600 rounds per minute or more is possible according to
other builders and the designer. A motor besides being illegal might well
exceed the guns capabilities. Remember this thing was designed in the
1860's. High speed (1000 RPM) wasn't in the cards then. The RG-G gun is
esentially the same design.

I could easily design a mechanical transmission, with governor, to both
increase the speed of the hand crank as well as regulate it's rotational
speed in order to provide a fairly smooth and constant rate of fire

similar
to that of an electric motor. Yet the entire system would still be powered
by the hand crank. Does that mean it's still not an automatic weapon?

I beilive that is correct.

What if I attach an electric motor to the Gatling drive, and then use a
hand-cranked electric generator to drive that? Technically, it's still