JR North

Default Cutting bearing races

Cut a slot in the race perp to the bearing axis with an o/a cutting
torch. Done properly, you won't cut into the parent metal.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

John Martin wrote:

I needed to remove some ball bearings from an old power brush I'm
rebuilding. The outer race was hidden by the shoulder on the plate
it's mounted in, so I couldn't drift it out. I broke out the inner
race and tried grinding a notch in the outer race with a Foredom-type
grinder and a pink stone, which was taking forever.

I had some solid carbide end mills, so I mounted the plate in the mill
and used the mills to cut into the race. Pretty quickly found that,
even though the mill is fairly heavy, I had to lock the table down.
It's not really a great way to do it, though. The mill is a
horizontal, which means I'm working on the backside of the piece. And
I broke two endmills. Finally got through the race, but nicked the
housing a bit.

There must be a better way. Have been considering picking up some
carbide burrs for the grinder. Will these cut through hardened races
quickly? Any better choice of grinding points?

John Martin

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"