Hugo Nebula

Default Loft conversion of a bungalow

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 10:23:57 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named
"Mary Fisher" randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

When there ARE foundations! But while the new load of the structure might
not be any greater there'll be a greter face to winds and when the extension
is loaded with furniture and people, possibly storage and the like it will
add to the whole load.

There are always foundations, by the very definition of the word.
Whether they would be regarded as adequate if a new building was being
built on the same site is another issue. For instance, they may be
bearing on clay at a shallow depth, which means they could be
susceptible to shrinkage, but this wouldn't affect the ground's
bearing capacity.

The increased loads I mentioned included 'live' or 'imposed' loads for
most domestic floor loads, and the roof loads include a figure for
snow or wind loading. Doing some back of envelope figures for a
typical bungalow, I doubt that the loads on the foundations would
increase by more than 10-15%, well within most structure's factor of
safety.

I suspect, knowing the family, that there won't be a loan.

....And maybe not a Building Regulations application?
--
Hugo Nebula
'What you have to ask yourself is,"if no-one on the internet wants