Art

Default Looking for opinions on new garage door opener

I think they made a temporary screw up. My parents had one installed 2
years ago and it works fine with flourscent lights in the garage. And it is
darn far away from the opener.

The only complaint we had was the plastic arm that securely keeps the door
closed is only a pressure fit and fell off once. It is possible that it
wasn't installed correctly the first time. They contracted out the
installation to a guy they since fired and he was an idiot. Much of his
work had to be redone including properly centering the door. But WD took
care of it and I have 3 of their doors and non IDrive openers in my house
and they are very reasonable and reliable on service so I forgave them this
one screw up at my parents house.

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
Our iDrive is OK now, but it took a couple of calls and a wait of a week
or two to get the replacement parts (free under warranty) to get it to
work right. It's very quiet. No backup battery.

See the thread I started a while back about fluorescent lights and
Infra-Red devices.

Perce

On 10/16/05 08:47 pm Art tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

If you have a Wayne Dalton garage door store near you check out their
IDrive. Lowes has it too but WD store may be cheaper or install it for
free.

I need to replace my chamberlain chain drive. 1/2 HP is enough for my
metal 2 door garage door.

I want it to be quieter, so that means belt or screw. Don't have
preference to either. $200 is my spending limit. I want to be able to
get it from HD/Lowes/Sears. I've been pointed to:

Chamberlain Whisper Drive
Genie Excellerator

I assume the basic features (2 control, optical sensor, smooth
stop/reverse) are all the same. So I'm curious about little extras
(disabling remote, backup battery, etc). And just the general overall
quality of the unit.