John Rumm

Default Loft conversion of a bungalow

David W.E. Roberts wrote:

I didn't mention our reason for moving house. We are looking to downsize. So
a strategy which involves a major work program to leave us with a similar
house to our current one and no equity release is not top of our agenda :-)

Since you want to stay in the property, and the current one is nice, it
sounds like loft conversion could be a good way forward.

The bungalow is 1930's - which means that it has a huge high loft with real
wood beams and no cheap crap cross braced supports as found in most modern

That makes it easy...

builds. So there is an obvious potential to make more of this loft area. The
downside is the 2" * 4" joists. Other properties in this street have already

4x2" is good by comparison to most. Not much of an issue either way
since you can just install a real floor structure beside them - then all
they have to do is hold up the ceiling below.

had loft conversions (but no dormers).

Chances are you could add a rear dormer without needing PP if you wanted
= depending on the slope of the roof it it can make a huge difference
to the usable floor space (especially if specimins in your rug rat
infestation has grown to be sizeable!)

So I am looking for ways in which a modest outlay (」25k or less) can expand
the accomodation to cope with occasional peaks (Lord help us all if they
ever breed) and still leave us with some cash to spend on ourselves.

Favourite option is to convert the loft at minimum cost, which means maximum
DIY and minimum commercial tradespeople.

If you are not hacking the rrof structure about (sans adding some roof
windows) then much / all of it is DIYable if you are feeling brave and
have the time. Getting a decent set of plans drawn up, assistance from a
chippie to put in the floor structure and add the roof windows would
then put you in a position to carry on by yourself for pretty much most
of the rest.

Which brings us back to the length of a piece of string.......

Sticks finger in the air...

6 - 7K would take care of all of the above (depending on floor area and
how esoteric the design of the floor joists needs to be)... another 4 to
5K would see it decorated if you DIY the rest.

--
Cheers,

John.