Pete C.

Default High voltage capacitor needed & questions

Eric R Snow wrote:

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 19:11:32 +1000, "john johnson"
wrote:

"william_b_noble" wrote in message
news:1129443990.371761fa123e7cca0b6df5fa678f46c1@ teranews...
high voltage mica caps aren't hard to find, I have a 30,000 VAC mica cap
sitting here at this moment - it's about 8 inches X 6 inches X 12 inches,
with a 8 inch insulator on top, the case is one terminal, the other is on
top of the insulator.

I suspect your TIG welder needs a lower voltage.

Mica has particular dielectric benefits in certain frequency bands - and
oil dripping out is not a real problem, jsut remove the cap, refill with
oil and seal it again. use mineral oil if you can't find capacitor oil.

Just make sure it's oil in there, not PCB. What vintage is the machine?

regards,

John

The machine was built in the early seventies. Were PCBs used then? I
think they were. If they are leaking PCBs then wouldn't the best fix
be just re-filling with non PCB oil and sealing them? I could take
them to the county as hazmat but then they would have to deal with
them.
ERS

It the cap does not have "no PCBs" printed on it than it can be assumed
to contain PCBs which means you've got a bit of a problem on your hands
if it leaked.

Pete C.