Jewelry Box Hinges

Old December 19th 04, 09:37 PM
Ray Dunn

Default Jewelry Box Hinges

What is the best way to align and attach hinges on a jewelry box? I have
made several, but after cutting the top off so that the grain aligns, which
looks great, I struggle with attaching the hinges. Usually after attaching
the hinges and closing the box, the top is a little to the left or right or
not quite flush to the front. It's a pain to do all this work and not have
the top line up.
What methods are being used to make the cuts for the hinges and how do you
hold the base and top to ensure precise alignment.

Thanks,

Ray

Old December 20th 04, 01:10 AM
[email protected]

wrote:

What is the best way to align and attach hinges on a jewelry box? I have
made several, but after cutting the top off so that the grain aligns,

which
looks great, I struggle with attaching the hinges. Usually after

attaching
the hinges and closing the box, the top is a little to the left or right

or
not quite flush to the front. It's a pain to do all this work and not

have
the top line up.
What methods are being used to make the cuts for the hinges and how do

you
hold the base and top to ensure precise alignment.

Thanks,

Ray

wrote

router jig.

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 00:49:53 GMT, "Ray Dunn"
wrote:

any more info. available?
Ray

lots.
what kind of hinges you using?
Old December 20th 04, 01:16 AM
Ray Dunn

would use any that i could get to work!
Currently using straight 1/2 x 1 inch hinges. What do you suggest?
Ray

news

Old December 20th 04, 02:24 AM
[email protected]

Ray Dunn wrote:
would use any that i could get to work!
Currently using straight 1/2 x 1 inch hinges. What do you suggest?
Ray

news

wrote:

[...]

If you are using surface mount hinges, why not mark your cutoff line
for the top & pre install the hinges before you cut (on the top only-)
You know-- align them & drill the holes & even put the screws in & then
take them out after you scribe side lines for the hinges on the bottom
portion of the box so you can line them up again. Depending what
method you use to cut the top off, you will loose a little wood-- So
actually installing the hinges fully would only aggrivate you further.
PH

Old December 20th 04, 05:03 PM
Todd the wood junkie

For something as small as a jewelry box, I'd avoid using a router to
mortise the hinges because it's a bad risk. Generally when you are
mortising the hinges, the project is nearing completion. You've put in
countless hours, and the last thing you want is a mishap with a router
running at 15-20k rpm.

I recently finished a jewerly box and did the following:
1. position the hinges on the box portion exactly where you want them,
then clamp them on with an 'f' style clamp.
2. mark with a mechanical pencil the exact location (height, width,
depth).
3. Unclamp the hinges.
4. using a razor blade and a small hammer, carefully tap out stop cuts
on the lines drawn above.
4. Still using razor blade and hammer, chisle out bulk of material
until the hinges fit.
5. perfect the mortise with just razor blade or 150 grit sandpaper
6. install hinge on lower portion of box.
7. align and clamp lid to hinges and repeat starting at step 2

here is a few pictures (note the broken razor was actually more useful
than the whole one due to it's size):

http://www.gocleansweep.com/honeylocust/100_1239.JPG
http://www.gocleansweep.com/honeylocust/100_1240.JPG
http://www.gocleansweep.com/honeylocust/100_1241.JPG

Old December 20th 04, 05:29 PM
Ray Dunn

Thanks Todd! That gives me a lot more info. How do you hold and align the
hinges to the top after they are mounted on the bottom? My sides must be
flush, bottom and top (no overhang). I guess I'll just try measuring
accurately once the bottom hinges are mounted.
Thanks again.

oups.com...

Old December 20th 04, 05:45 PM
Todd the wood junkie

Ray,

This was my first attempt at small hinges, so you may find a better
way.

I used a wooden handscrew clamp to hold the lid to the opposite hinge I
was marking. The trick is to mark one hinge location without a clamp
on it (just your fingers, while you trace the hinge), then carefully
clamp that hinge and take the second clamp off so it can be marked.

Worked for me after only a few bobbled clamping attempts. If you mess
up, erase and start over. Once you have the marking done perfectly,
the rest is easy.

Todd

Old December 20th 04, 05:59 PM
[email protected]

Ray Dunn wrote:
What is the best way to align and attach hinges on a jewelry box?

Depends on the hinge and how you want them mounted. I used barrel
hinges which are hidden, and the only thing you have to worry about is
drilling the hole at the same spot in the top and the base, which is no
big deal with a drill press (just set a couple of stop blocks on the
drill press table to position the pieces in the same spot).

It's also easy to attach surface mount hinges. Just using auto
centering drill bit and make sure the top and base are aligned when
drilling (first mount the hinges to the base, then to the top).