Ray Dunn

Thanks Todd! That gives me a lot more info. How do you hold and align the
hinges to the top after they are mounted on the bottom? My sides must be
flush, bottom and top (no overhang). I guess I'll just try measuring
accurately once the bottom hinges are mounted.
Thanks again.

"Todd the wood junkie" wrote in message
oups.com...
For something as small as a jewelry box, I'd avoid using a router to
mortise the hinges because it's a bad risk. Generally when you are
mortising the hinges, the project is nearing completion. You've put in
countless hours, and the last thing you want is a mishap with a router
running at 15-20k rpm.

I recently finished a jewerly box and did the following:
1. position the hinges on the box portion exactly where you want them,
then clamp them on with an 'f' style clamp.
2. mark with a mechanical pencil the exact location (height, width,
depth).
3. Unclamp the hinges.
4. using a razor blade and a small hammer, carefully tap out stop cuts
on the lines drawn above.
4. Still using razor blade and hammer, chisle out bulk of material
until the hinges fit.
5. perfect the mortise with just razor blade or 150 grit sandpaper
6. install hinge on lower portion of box.
7. align and clamp lid to hinges and repeat starting at step 2

here is a few pictures (note the broken razor was actually more useful
than the whole one due to it's size):

http://www.gocleansweep.com/honeylocust/100_1239.JPG
http://www.gocleansweep.com/honeylocust/100_1240.JPG
http://www.gocleansweep.com/honeylocust/100_1241.JPG