Plans for making a simple plow plane?

Old August 25th 11, 09:32 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Plans for making a simple plow plane?

I'm finding that I'll be needing a plow plane for my next project
(have been making do by cutting dados w/ an assortment of other hand
tools) --- does anyone have plans for such?

It doesn't need to be adjustable (save for depth which is a necessary
part of the functionality?), so should be much simpler than most of
the images I'm seeing of them on-line.

Any guidelines or resources anyone could suggest would be welcome.

Thanks!

William
Old August 25th 11, 10:00 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Thou, 25 Aug 2011 12:32:12 -0700 (PDT), "William F. Adams
I'm finding that I'll be needing a plow plane for my next project
(have been making do by cutting dados w/ an assortment of other hand
tools) --- does anyone have plans for such?

Yup, I designed and carried out plans for my plow plane and it's
turned out real well.

1. Called my nearest Lee Valley Tools store and confirmed they had a
right hand model in stock.

2. On my way over, stopped in at the local tavern and chatted with the
boys while I ate a steak on a kaiser bun and quaffed two Sleeman Creme
ale beer.

3. Headed over to Lee Valley and picked up my plow plane with imperial
diameter blades.

4. Rushed back home to test out the plane and was eminently satisfied.

All in all, my plans turned out real well that day. Wish most of my
plans worked out as well.

(Sorry, it's been a slow day and I had nothing else to do. By the way,
the story above is completely true in every aspect except for the fact
that I first had to raid my bank account for enough money.)

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,41182,57678

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,41182,57678
Old August 27th 11, 07:49 AM posted to rec.woodworking
Roy

Buy a copy of Making Traditional Wooden Planes by John Whelan.

This is the best book on planemaking I have seen so far, but this is not a
frenzied field of publishing. It provides info on making many types of planes
beyond the basic Krenov style covered in the Finck/Krenov book. Whelan uses b&w
drawings/plans, dark photos plus building comments for around 18 types of
planes, including three plough planes. Starts with a Krenov style plane and
increases in complexity and difficulty from there. I would love to buy a copy
of this book with better illustrations, but it doesn't exist.

I would suggest you have a set of plough cutters, preferably the same maker, or
at least with the same angle on them before you start. There are 2-3 types of
cutters, and you need a different wedge for each one because of the difference
in angles.

You could probably buy a working plough plane with maybe a cutter off the bay
for about $20, even less, or a lot more, depending on what you want. I've found
a few a cheap as a gloatable $6 at fleas. Cutters usually sell separate from
the planes and run from $20-60+ a set.

Amazon claims they have 8 books left in stock as of this posting. Lee Valley
stocks the book also. You'll have to do your own Google search for online
plans. They are out there, along with a couple of very good sites that cover
building other types of traditional planes. Watch the line wrap on this URL:

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Traditi...4421733&sr=1-4

HTH,

Roy

Old August 27th 11, 02:39 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Am I the only one with a strange visualization when you read the subject
line?

I see this Piper Apache blazing down the runway in the snow with the plow
clearing to the sides.

Old August 27th 11, 03:19 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 08:39:12 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

Am I the only one with a strange visualization when you read the subject
line?

I see this Piper Apache blazing down the runway in the snow with the plow
clearing to the sides.

I see an A-10 Warthog behind that plow blade, using the 20mm cannon
for clearing the thicker ice.

--
Life is an escalator:
You can move forward or backward;
Old August 27th 11, 05:40 PM posted to rec.woodworking
Roy

wrote:

Am I the only one with a strange visualization when you read the subject
line?

I see this Piper Apache blazing down the runway in the snow with the plow
clearing to the sides.

I see an A-10 Warthog behind that plow blade, using the 20mm cannon
for clearing the thicker ice.

You boys are obviously headed down a completely different slope than the rest of
us.
Old August 27th 11, 07:20 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Am I the only one with a strange visualization when you read the subject
line?

I see this Piper Apache blazing down the runway in the snow with the plow
clearing to the sides.

I see an A-10 Warthog behind that plow blade, using the 20mm cannon
for clearing the thicker ice.

You boys are obviously headed down a completely different slope than the rest of
us.

We merely use a whole lot more of our imaginations than the rest of
youse, and if it gains us some speed, so much the better!

Old August 29th 11, 03:15 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 27, 1:49*am, Roy wrote:
[...]

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Traditi...Whelan/dp/1879...

Thanks!

I'll have to kick this around a bit --- not winning on the auctions
I'm bidding at on the Extremely Big AuctionY site, and not having any
brilliant insights into designing one to make, nor finding any plans
on-line.

William
Old August 30th 11, 12:00 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 06:15:08 -0700 (PDT), "William F. Adams
)" wrote:

On Aug 27, 1:49*am, Roy wrote:
[...]

William, if you're looking for an iron set for a #45 style plane, let
me know. I have a unique Jaques/Knight set for sale. It was cryoed
and heat treated/tempered by Steve's regular companies.

--
The problem with borrowing money from China is
that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again.
Old September 1st 11, 04:10 AM posted to rec.woodworking
Roy

wrote:

On Aug 27, 1:49*am, Roy wrote:
[...]

Bid ... higher??

See the Crowbar FAQ for instructions.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...da4343c8b54652

or if you're line-length challenged like me:

http://tinyurl.com/3l8s3kw

Pics of my new plow plane (1/1) Steve knight Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 March 26th 07 10:27 PM
Pics of my new plow plane (0/1) Steve knight Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 March 26th 07 08:00 AM
Free plans for a simple bed [email protected] UK diy 7 July 27th 06 07:26 PM
ATV Plow Plans SteveC Metalworking 27 April 29th 06 10:10 PM
I need some fairly simple plans Sam Berlyn Woodworking 11 November 3rd 04 05:02 AM