Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Pots and pans cabinet drawers

My next project is to build drawers in the kitchen cabinets for the
pots, pans, bowls etc that are now stored on shelves in the lower
cabinets. The concept is very simple: a shallow drawer mounted to
file cabinet drawer slides.
I am dead sure I am not the first to do this but can't find any
pitfalls and precautions in the group. If you have done this I would
appreciate the benefit of your experience - especially call to my
attention those things I must not do. Thanks, Leo

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

Leo,

I did it. I was bugged especially by the undersink area. I bought the
drawer slides first to get the proper offset and then built drawers
with sides only 2 in. high. Be sure to check to see that your cabinet
doors open far enough not to interfere with the drawers. My drawer
slides had to be shimmed out 1/4 inch on the cabinet door side.

Works great. Had no problems. What problems are you anticipating?

Bill in New Mexico

Posted to rec.woodworking
loutent

In article . com,
wrote:

My next project is to build drawers in the kitchen cabinets for the
pots, pans, bowls etc that are now stored on shelves in the lower
cabinets. The concept is very simple: a shallow drawer mounted to
file cabinet drawer slides.
I am dead sure I am not the first to do this but can't find any
pitfalls and precautions in the group. If you have done this I would
appreciate the benefit of your experience - especially call to my
attention those things I must not do. Thanks, Leo

Hi Leo,

I have done this to many cabinets -
kitchen island, regular cabinets and even
my shop cabinets.

Besides the obvious of measuring the widths
carefully - allowing 1/2 inch for each slide
(total 1 inch), get 100 lb full extension slides
(I use wwhardware.com). I like the KV brand
with "overtravel".

If you have to mount the slides on the face
frames, check out the location of your door
hinges - I had to move the hinges in our kitchen
island to accomodate. I also had to add a 3/4
inch strip to the back of the FF because the
cabinet door would not close if the slide was
mounted on the frame (our doors are rabbeted
around the inside). I mounted the slide to the
strip.

Also, you may have to reinforce the back of the
cabinet with plywood or something in order
to attach the rear of the slide to it. Be sure
to order the rear brackets when you order the
slides.

It is a VERY worthwhile project tho. No more
getting down on you knees to find that pot
or bowl.

I made our "trays" out of 1x3 poplar for the
sides and 3/8 plywood for the bottom. For the
shop cabinets which were wider, I used 3/4.
Wiped on a coat or two of poly and that was it.

Good luck!

Lou
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

wrote in message
ups.com...

My next project is to build drawers in the kitchen cabinets for the
pots, pans, bowls etc that are now stored on shelves in the lower
cabinets. The concept is very simple: a shallow drawer mounted to
file cabinet drawer slides.
I am dead sure I am not the first to do this but can't find any
pitfalls and precautions in the group. If you have done this I would
appreciate the benefit of your experience - especially call to my
attention those things I must not do. Thanks, Leo

I have done this many times. I like to use 1/2" Baltic Birch for the sides
and fronts and 1/4" cheap smooth plywood for the bottoms. You do NOT need
file cabinet drawer slides. The common 100# full extension slides are
plenty. My drawers are approximately 36" ax 22".

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks, you just saved me some money. Leo

Posted to rec.woodworking

None really but there are always "gotchas". Leo

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"David Penner" wrote in message

When I redid our cabinets I converted all of the lower cabinets to full
pull out drawers. Took out the middle stiles and shelves in the double
door cabinets to make 36" W x 24" D X 9" H boxes with overlay maple
fronts and full extension slides. We've got pots and pans, but also a
lot of piddly little stuff in these drawers--the high sides keep
everything in place. The full extension slides mean that even with the
high sides,everything is easy to get at. My wife loves them.

The higher sides also add strength to the drawers so that they do not
distort when you have 80# of pots and pans in there. I agree with the full
extensions slides. Eventually the drawer will be full and you do not want
to move things out of the way so that you can get that pot or pan out of the
back.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Juergen Hannappel

"Leon" writes:

"David Penner" wrote in message

[...]

lot of piddly little stuff in these drawers--the high sides keep
everything in place. The full extension slides mean that even with the
high sides,everything is easy to get at. My wife loves them.

The higher sides also add strength to the drawers so that they do not
distort when you have 80# of pots and pans in there. I agree with the full

Sometimes you see such kitchen drawers with full height front and
back, but low sides and where the upper edge of a full-height side
would be just a connecting metal rod between front and back.
That way you have full stability and acces from the side.

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23