DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   wood lathe copying attachment (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/231368-wood-lathe-copying-attachment.html)

[email protected] January 25th 08 01:50 PM

wood lathe copying attachment

Hi,
I am thinking to buy a wood lathe copying attachment to duplicate some
baseball bats.
Is there anyone of you, who know about how many baseball bats that
these kind duplicator can produce on a day (for beginner)?

Thanks,
Darius

Leo Lichtman January 25th 08 06:16 PM

wood lathe copying attachment

wrote: (clip) how many baseball bats that
these kind duplicator can produce on a day (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not as many as you will make by freehand turning after you get the hang of
it.

[email protected] January 26th 08 01:00 AM

wood lathe copying attachment

Normally, I can make only 20 bats a day. I hope this machine can
increase production and accuracy.

mac davis[_2_] January 26th 08 03:57 AM

wood lathe copying attachment

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 17:00:43 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Normally, I can make only 20 bats a day. I hope this machine can
increase production and accuracy.

If you're making 20 a day, you need to go CNC.. lol

You have a market for all those bats?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

[email protected] January 26th 08 05:30 AM

wood lathe copying attachment

Yes, 20 bats by freehand but the precission is not very good, that's
why I try to search the lathe duplicator.

Do I have a market for all those bats? ---- I won't made those bats
if there was no inquiry, I sell those bats for $8.50 to $22.50 each.

Luck for me, I live in Indonesia, all of wood prices seem very cheap
here.
The only thing I have to wacth out just those terorist.

Bruce Barnett[_3_] January 26th 08 11:31 AM

" writes:

The only thing I have to wacth out just those terorist.

Carry a bat.

Ralph E Lindberg January 26th 08 02:58 PM

wood lathe copying attachment

In article
,
" wrote:

Hi,
I am thinking to buy a wood lathe copying attachment to duplicate some
baseball bats.
Is there anyone of you, who know about how many baseball bats that
these kind duplicator can produce on a day (for beginner)?

Thanks,
Darius

Vega makes the best, at least in the USA, where you live ?????

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

Bill Rubenstein January 26th 08 03:09 PM

wood lathe copying attachment

I'm going to suggest a device (not of my invention) which might work for
you...

You need to mount a dowel behind your bat blank, and parallel to it. On
that dowel you have a number of fingers made from wood, wire, metal,...,
whatever, which are free to rotate on the dowel but are fixed in
position left to right. You adjust the length of each finger so that
when you use a parting tool on the blank where that finger is, it will
drop down when the blank is the right diameter.

So, now you mount the blank, get it round, then set the diameter at each
finger with a parting tool. When that is done, you just need to connect
the work you've already done.

I hope that is clearer than mudg.

Bill

mac davis[_2_] January 26th 08 05:26 PM

wood lathe copying attachment

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 21:30:42 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Yes, 20 bats by freehand but the precission is not very good, that's
why I try to search the lathe duplicator.

Do I have a market for all those bats? ---- I won't made those bats
if there was no inquiry, I sell those bats for $8.50 to $22.50 each.

Luck for me, I live in Indonesia, all of wood prices seem very cheap
here.
The only thing I have to wacth out just those terorist.

I'd be worried about unhappy customers "returning" their product.. ;-]

[email protected] January 27th 08 09:33 AM

wood lathe copying attachment

No worried for them, they almost never come back. But there is always
a new customer. That's why I'm looking for a duplicator.

Thanks

[email protected] January 27th 08 02:44 PM

wood lathe copying attachment

I always compare the dimension of the blank vs the original bat per
each inches, but the most difficult part to make them the same is on
the knob and the barrel end side.

Bruce Barnett[_36_] January 27th 08 04:15 PM

" writes:

I always compare the dimension of the blank vs the original bat per
each inches, but the most difficult part to make them the same is on
the knob and the barrel end side.

You can make a contour gauge out of plastic, brass, masonite, particle
board, etc.

Gerald Ross[_2_] January 27th 08 04:42 PM

wrote:
Yes, 20 bats by freehand but the precission is not very good, that's
why I try to search the lathe duplicator.

Do I have a market for all those bats? ---- I won't made those bats
if there was no inquiry, I sell those bats for $8.50 to $22.50 each.

Luck for me, I live in Indonesia, all of wood prices seem very cheap
here.
The only thing I have to wacth out just those terorist.

What kind of wood do you make them from?
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

What do you get if you play New Age
music backwards? New Age music.

[email protected] January 28th 08 01:15 PM

wood lathe copying attachment

As maple and ash are not the tropical tree, I make the bat from Schima
walichii, and Eugenia.spp

Gerald Ross[_2_] January 28th 08 04:19 PM

wrote:
As maple and ash are not the tropical tree, I make the bat from Schima
walichii, and Eugenia.spp

That's greek to me. Or maybe latin. Can you post a picture on
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking (ABPW) ? We would love to see what
the wood looks like.

[email protected] January 29th 08 03:11 PM

wood lathe copying attachment

Ok, but that woods have no special looking but I love exoticwood and I
make them for my personal collection.

[email protected] January 29th 08 03:26 PM

wood lathe copying attachment

Sorry, I am new in google group------- I like to post my tropical-
wood bats collection but I can find alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.