Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mark Russell

Default Turning Bowels

I would like to get int turning bowels. I have a lathe and it has a 3"
face plate. What else do I need to get started. Tools? Accessories?
Books?

I'm not quite sure where to start.

any help would be greatly appricated
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Walt Cheever

A good book--I like Richard Raffen Turning bowls

Some cheap wood--you'll make a fair amount of designer firewood

A good bowl gouge. I like the Sorby 1/2" fluted gouge. Works a lot better
than a regular gouge for bowl work

After that, some time and a sense of humor to laugh at the mistakes.

It's loads of fun, enjoy.

And, if you really meant that you wanted to turn bowels, a box of Ex-Lax
ought to do the trick.

Walt C

"Mark Russell" wrote in message
ink.net...
I would like to get int turning bowels. I have a lathe and it has a 3"
face plate. What else do I need to get started. Tools? Accessories?
Books?

I'm not quite sure where to start.

any help would be greatly appricated

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mark Russell

some days the fingers and brain don't connect

Mark Russell
Lifetime mender of DAM (Mothers Against Dyslexia)
Walt Cheever wrote:
A good book--I like Richard Raffen Turning bowls

Some cheap wood--you'll make a fair amount of designer firewood

A good bowl gouge. I like the Sorby 1/2" fluted gouge. Works a lot better
than a regular gouge for bowl work

After that, some time and a sense of humor to laugh at the mistakes.

It's loads of fun, enjoy.

And, if you really meant that you wanted to turn bowels, a box of Ex-Lax
ought to do the trick.

Walt C

"Mark Russell" wrote in message
ink.net...
I would like to get int turning bowels. I have a lathe and it has a 3"
face plate. What else do I need to get started. Tools? Accessories?
Books?

I'm not quite sure where to start.

any help would be greatly appricated

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph E Lindberg

In article . net,
Mark Russell wrote:

I would like to get int turning bowels. I have a lathe and it has a 3"
face plate. What else do I need to get started. Tools? Accessories?
Books?

Run now, never turn the lathe on.

Upps, too late

Cheap chisels (until you know what you are doing, like this one

Books and DVDs, like these:http://www.woodcraft.com/videos.aspx
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/catalog/books.html
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/catalog/videos.html
or our own http://www.fholder.com/Woodturning/store.htm

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 12:19:21 GMT, Mark Russell wrote:

I would like to get int turning bowels. I have a lathe and it has a 3"
face plate. What else do I need to get started. Tools? Accessories?
Books?

I'm not quite sure where to start.

any help would be greatly appricated

This is a nice set for bowls if you don't mind the $70...

IMO, good mid-range tools that should last through several sharpening attempts..

NOTE: I wouldn't/woodn't suggest doing a Google for "bowel turning tools" unless
you're an aspiring surgeon.. *g*
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy

Find a near by woodturners club, and attend. Nothing like seeing the
chips fly, and being able to ask questions. Look up American Assn. of
Woodturners for their club listings.
robo hippy

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman

"Mark Russell" wrote: some days the fingers and brain don't connect
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Mark, your proposal to turn *bowels* turns my stomach. G

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Mark Russell" wrote in message
nk.net...

What would you consider a good bowl gouge? What would be a good price
for one?

What's the capacity of the lathe? For the 10" types either 1/4 or 3/8
flute. For a 12" type a 3/8 or 1/2. Note that sizes are quoted differently
by some manufacturers. You can get M2 for 50-75 dollars.

Your regular tools will be fine for the outside of the bowl, and if it's
fairly shallow, the inside. The bowl gouges are longer, for those times
when you have to reach a ways over the rest. Not that you shouldn't strive
to keep the rest as close as possible.

No bargains at Woodcraft, but these are reputedly decent stuff.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5238

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Mark
Going to try this again, my just send reply has disappeared into thin
air, :(

I second Robo's advice, find a wood turners club, and you will get a
hand up in all departments of wood turning, the wood, the lathe, the
tools, the sharpening, the finishing, the holding/chucking, etc.
Also most clubs have a library of tapes, books and CDs, and people
willing to hold your hand so to speak, to get you up and turning.
It's a lot less frustrating not to have to reinvent the wheel, ))
Some good books to have, Richard Raffans turning wood, turning bowls
and a couple more by him.
Turning Green Wood by Michael O'Donnell, lot of good advice in there.
Bill Grumbine, Ernie Conover, Mike Darlow also have good informative
material out there.
A must peruse website by Darrell Feltmate, a lot of down to earth no BS
info, he's not trying to sell you anything, just good advice for new
andddddd ooooold/uuuuused turners alike.
Tools for turning bowls, I would get 2 bowl gouges a 3/8" and 5/8", you
could try to do all with a 1/2" but I like to use the 2 sizes, P&N
professional tools sold at Lee Valley a 3/8" bowl gouge $30.--and the
5/8" one $45.-- you have to make the handles.
They also sell Henry Taylor the same sizes cost approx. $54.-- and
$89.-- but do have handles
Also needed a heavy scraper, the 1/2" thick by 1" wide scrapers run
$85.-- to $90.-- the thinner ones I would not recommend for longer
overhang with bowls, they do cost less about $60.-- for the same width.
Robert Sorby are also good tools, but again the prices run higher than
the P&N
All those prices are in Can $ and approx.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

O yes Darrell's website.
http://aroundthewoods.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Mark

I would second robo hippy's advice, find a wood turners club, you will
get a hand up on all the different departments of wood turning, the
wood, the lathe, the tools, the chucks, the sharpening, the finishing,
etc.

It is also a lot less frustrating not to have to reinvent the wheel,
most cubs also have a library with tapes, books and CDs about wood
turning and people that are willing to hold your hand so to speak in
getting you up and turning.

In the meantime some books on turning you would want and will go back
to many times, Turning Bowls by Richard Raffan, Turning Green Wood by
Michael O'Donnell, Bill Grumbines turning instruction, Ernie Conover
and Mike Darlow are also good helpers.

Good bowl turning tools needed, a couple of good Bowl gouges and a
heavy scraper, for instance P&N Professional tools, the bowl gouges I
would get, a 3/8 " $30.--Can. and a 5/8" $45.--Can. at Lee Valley, and
you make your own handle.
A 1/2" thick by 1" wide HSS scraper runs $85.-- Can.

Robert Sorby tools are good also but more expensive as are Crown Tools
those can run into the $100.-- range but have a handle as do Henry
Taylor Tools, also good tools, Henry Taylor bowl gouges (measured
across the flute btw) 1/4" $52.--Can and 1/2" $87.--Can.

Don't forget to peruse Darrell Feltmate's website he has one of the
best down to earth informative sites, he's not trying to sell you stuff
but just give good advise for all turners new orrrrr Old/used????? G
)))
www.aroundthewoods.com

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bruce Barnett

Mark Russell writes:

I would like to get int turning bowels.

some days the fingers and brain don't connect

.... but think of the joy your straight line gave us!

Bowel - is this a half bowl/half dowel?

What would you use it for?

Bowls that can be used for walking sticks and eating on the walk?
Drinking spaghetti soup?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Steve Russell

Hello Mark,

I've been a professional woodturner (bowls primarily) for eleven years and
would offer the following advice:

Use a good set of deep fluted, bowl gouges made from M2 High Speed Steel. I
would try to get them with an Irish grind if possible, if not you can grind
it yourself. If your lathe swings (2x the distance from the bed way to the
centre of the spindle) 12" -16" I would opt for a 1/2", 3/8" and a 1/4" bowl
gouge. If your lathe is 16"+ swing, add a 5/8" bowl gouge. If you have a
smaller mini lathe with a swing around 10", just get the 3/8" and the 1/4"
bowl gouge as the other two will be overkill on a small mini lathe.

I like the English manufactured tools the best, with a slight preference for
Henry Taylor Tools, but the Hamlet, Sorby and Crown Tools are excellent as
well. A good chuck is also nice to have, but you can wait on one of these if
your pocketbook is not flush at the moment. My favourite chuck is the
Vicmarc, Oneway is also a good chuck.

I really recommend that you get a sharpening jig to sharpen your tools.
Although it can be done freehand, it is very hard for most turners to
effectively sharpen freehand. The Woodcut Tru-Grind jig is excellent and
affordable and will work on 6" or 8" grinders. It will sharpen most turning
tools without having to get multiple jigs. The Kelton jig is also very good,
as is the Oneway Wolverine. Remember, if you can't master sharpening, it
will be hard for you to master woodturning! The jigs make it easy to master
sharpening allowing you to concentrate on turning wood. :-)

As others have pointed out, the bowl turning book by Richard Raffan is very
good. Most of my students seem to prefer a video though, so If I may, I
would like to recommend my latest DVD video, Volume #3 which covers turning
the bowl from the green log, to the finished bowl in 2 hours and 20 minutes.
It is presented in a step by step format, so every step of the process is
shown in the video. It also contains a nice feature on sharpening your Irish
ground bowl gouge on a wet, or dry grinder. Many of the readers of this
newsgroup have my bowl video and it has been very well received not only in
the U.S., but in numerous countries around the world.

A good site to check is www.woodturnerscatalog.com which is Craft Supplies
website and has everything you need to get started. The video is currently
on
sale for $40.00 for the two disk set, plus postage. If you would like more
information on the video, please contact me. Take care and all the best to
you and yours!

P.S. We also have two electronic books on woodturning and a DVD video on
turning writing pens that is also available.

On 4/12/06 7:19 AM, in article
et, "Mark Russell"

--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

³Woodturning with Steven D. Russell²
Volume #1 CD ROM e-Book * Available for Shipment
Volume #2 CD ROM e-Book/DVD Video * Available for Shipment
Volume #3 Double DVD Video on Bowl Turning * Available for Shipment

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Harry Pye

Hi Mark,

A 1/2" thick by 1" wide HSS scraper runs $85.-- Can.

Penn State Industries has a really nice round end scraper. About 1-1/4"
wide and nearly 3/8" thick. Looks like a canoe paddle! It is High Speed
Steel and costs less than $25.-- U.S.

The also offer bowl gouges but I haven't seen them so can't recommend
them. But that scraper is a good deal!

Harry

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mark Russell

Harry Pye wrote:
Hi Mark,

A 1/2" thick by 1" wide HSS scraper runs $85.-- Can.

Penn State Industries has a really nice round end scraper. About 1-1/4"
wide and nearly 3/8" thick. Looks like a canoe paddle! It is High Speed
Steel and costs less than $25.-- U.S.

The also offer bowl gouges but I haven't seen them so can't recommend
them. But that scraper is a good deal!

Harry

Thanks to everyone in the group for being so helpful. I have found a
The American Association of Wood turners here in Pittsburgh. I have
e-mailed them and am waiting on the details of the group.

Thanks for the input on the tools. I was looking at some on ebay that
seemed inexpensive. My guess is that they will not hold an edge very
long and will need to be reheat treated to get a good hardness if they
can get it at all. (I happen to be a blacksmith also so heat treating
is not an issue if I know what kind of steel is used to make the tool).

I have several Japanese water stones and jigs for sharpening chisels and
plane blades. I sharpen by hand I tend not to grind things because I
have been too cheap to buy the jigs and wheels. I'll just have to bite
the bullet and get the supplies I need(time to start saving money). Who
makes the best wheels for grinding?

I have a delta midi lathe 10" bowl max. I'm in the process of putting
together a wood shop. I have a 30 x 60 basement that is going to be
partitioned off into a game room, storage, and wood shop(until I get
enough money to build a pole building for my blacksmithing and woodworking).
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

I would like to get int turning bowels.

Bowels....?

-:grin:-
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
dan cordes

Hi Mark,

Steve is right about which bowl gouges to use. Grizzly has some nice ones
at http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2006/Main/113

in all 3 sizes recommended. Find a weekend or week long course to take by a
noted turner and have fun! If you are near the Ohio area, Ernie Conover has
a great class. Well worth the time. http://www.conoverworkshops.com/
Good Luck.

Dan

wrote:

I would like to get int turning bowels. I have a lathe and it has a 3"
face
plate. What else do I need to get started. Tools? Accessories? Books?

I'm not quite sure where to start.

any help would be greatly appricated

--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

³Woodturning with Steven D. Russell²
Volume #1 CD ROM e-Book * Available for Shipment
Volume #2 CD ROM e-Book/DVD Video * Available for Shipment
Volume #3 Double DVD Video on Bowl Turning * Available for Shipment

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Mark Russell" wrote in message
nk.net...

I have a delta midi lathe 10" bowl max. I'm in the process of putting
together a wood shop. I have a 30 x 60 basement that is going to be
partitioned off into a game room, storage, and wood shop(until I get
enough money to build a pole building for my blacksmithing and
woodworking).

Puts you at the small end of the gouges. It's not so much that there's a
difference in diameter which would keep you from using a 5/8 over a 3/8 in a
smaller bowl, it's that the tool will be that much heavier and longer, and
things will just get in the way. You will want to keep a close-quarter
gouge ground a bit steeper than a big honker, though.

If you're a smith, you know that M2 is pretty much M2 anywhere you go.
There's a standard for the alloy. You also know that there's not a thing
wrong with high-carbon steel in the edge department, though the standard is
vague at best there. Carbon is just fine for those who turn craftily to
accommodate it. If it's sharp, so you don't press and heat, it'll do
anything the other alloys will. Shouldn't be pressing, anyway. Makes
things come out of circular. I think I may acquire a fresh carbon set to
replace those I've been using for fine and final cuts for the last twenty
plus years. They finally came out with similar forged patterns in HSS, but
it's still not the same.

Waterstones, and even my faithful India gouge stone are overkill for turning
tools, that's why most turners use a grinder. The lathe is dragging the
material over the edge for you, so you really don't have to do more than
keep your gouge presented properly. You're carving, but you're not the
power, you're the clamp. Lot of tolerance on grit for the final edge.

On the subject of grinder/stones, it's another one of those perplexing
things. People say buy a certain item and then give you a head-shaker of an
answer. It begins with "buy an 8" grinder, not a six. A six-inch grinder
makes a deeper hollow grind." As if the wood understands the microscopic
difference in gap? "Buy the 'friable' soft bond stones, they don't heat as
much, and they take off metal faster because they keep presenting unbroken
particles to the tool." Which makes sense when we have heat-resistant HSS
to _sharpen_, not grind away? Only recommendation I will give and follow
is to use a slow speed versus a faster grinder. Makes it more useful in the
shop for folks like me who are not always properly focused, and forget to
make a jig setting properly, or don't watch what they're doing and nick an
edge. If you're coordinated and focused, probably makes no difference.

I use the 100 SiC green stones from Woodworkers Supply. Israeli-made, I
believe. The writeup says ideal for HSS lathe tools because they remove so
little metal. True, and since I'm freshening an edge, just what I want them
to do.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph E Lindberg

In article et,
Mark Russell wrote:

Thanks to everyone in the group for being so helpful. I have found a
The American Association of Wood turners here in Pittsburgh. I have
e-mailed them and am waiting on the details of the group.

Thanks for the input on the tools. I was looking at some on ebay that
seemed inexpensive. My guess is that they will not hold an edge very
long and will need to be reheat treated to get a good hardness if they
can get it at all. (I happen to be a blacksmith also so heat treating
is not an issue if I know what kind of steel is used to make the tool).

Or not, as you know heat treating and unknown alloy can be, well,
interesting.
Most "cheap" tools today are HSS, there isn't much carbon-steel being
made any more

I have several Japanese water stones and jigs for sharpening chisels and
plane blades. I sharpen by hand I tend not to grind things because I
have been too cheap to buy the jigs and wheels. I'll just have to bite
the bullet and get the supplies I need(time to start saving money). Who
makes the best wheels for grinding?

The reason that most of us recommend cheap tools to start with is that
grinders tend to wreck the tool, if you don't know what you are doing.
If you are hand sharpening....

I have a delta midi lathe 10" bowl max. I'm in the process of putting
together a wood shop. I have a 30 x 60 basement that is going to be
partitioned off into a game room, storage, and wood shop(until I get
enough money to build a pole building for my blacksmithing and woodworking).

I have a small barn for the forge, firewood and other things. The wood
shop is now in a different building. Also, Fred Holder, a frequent
poster here and one of the links I sent you, is a member of both ABANA
and AAW

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 20:49:27 -0400, Harry Pye wrote:

Hi Mark,

A 1/2" thick by 1" wide HSS scraper runs $85.-- Can.

Penn State Industries has a really nice round end scraper. About 1-1/4"
wide and nearly 3/8" thick. Looks like a canoe paddle! It is High Speed
Steel and costs less than $25.-- U.S.

The also offer bowl gouges but I haven't seen them so can't recommend
them. But that scraper is a good deal!

Harry

Harry.. I use the 3 chisel set of "benjamin's best" bowl chisels from PSI and
have been very happy with them.. I think the set was under $100...

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Harry Pye

I use the 3 chisel set of "benjamin's best" bowl chisels from PSI and
have been very happy with them.. I think the set was under $100...

Thanks Mac. I live close enough to Penn State to easily drive there and
back in a couple hours. About time to make another trip and check out
some of their goodies.

Harry
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Personally, for a 10" lathe I would use a 3/16" and 1/4" Oland tool for
bowls. Cost about $10.00

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Chuck

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 12:19:21 GMT, Mark Russell
wrote:

(I know I'm late to the party, but pretend you just posted it, just to
humor me, okay?)

I would like to get int turning bowels. I have a lathe and it has a 3"
face plate. What else do I need to get started.

Some sliced turkey that has set out in a warm room too long seems to
do the trick.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Barry N. Turner" wrote in message
Speaking of.........my brother-in-law just had a colonoscopy........talk
about turning bowls..........:-)

I've seen people _smile_ when having that procedure performed....

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leif Thorvaldson

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 11:14:53 -0400, "George" George@least wrote:

"Barry N. Turner" wrote in message
.. .
Speaking of.........my brother-in-law just had a colonoscopy........talk
about turning bowls..........:-)

I've seen people _smile_ when having that procedure performed....

=====They just didn't notice the doc had both his hands on their
shoulders, or decided to go along for the ride!!*G*

Leif
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

"George" George@least wrote:

"Barry N. Turner" wrote in message
Speaking of.........my brother-in-law just had a
colonoscopy........talk about turning bowls..........:-)

I've seen people _smile_ when having that procedure performed....

Yeah, my proctologist. Why is it that they feel compelled to tell bad jokes
while wandering about in there?

On the other end of the canal, why is that dentists ask questions requiring
more than a grunt for an answer while drilling?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Scratch Ankle

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
"George" George@least wrote:

"Barry N. Turner" wrote in message
Speaking of.........my brother-in-law just had a
colonoscopy........talk about turning bowls..........:-)

I've seen people _smile_ when having that procedure performed....

Yeah, my proctologist. Why is it that they feel compelled to tell bad
jokes
while wandering about in there?

On the other end of the canal, why is that dentists ask questions
requiring
more than a grunt for an answer while drilling?

I've always wondered that myself but settle for just being happy that my
dentist don't practice proctology on the side.

--

You know, I spent a fortune on deodorant
before I realized that people didn't like me anyway

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

"George" George@least wrote:

"Barry N. Turner" wrote in message
Speaking of.........my brother-in-law just had a
colonoscopy........talk about turning bowls..........:-)

I've seen people _smile_ when having that procedure performed....

Yeah, my proctologist. Why is it that they feel compelled to tell bad
jokes
while wandering about in there?

On the other end of the canal, why is that dentists ask questions
requiring
more than a grunt for an answer while drilling?

I've always wondered that myself but settle for just being happy that my
dentist don't practice proctology on the side.

wouldn't that be on an end? *lol*