Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave P

Default Bathroom fan wiring ideas....

I've googled for an answer and read many posts none that seem to hit the
spot for me.

In my bathroom, with a window, there is also a wall mounted fan unreachable
from the bath or shower. This runs with the standard timer set up so it
comes on with the light and over runs a set period.

We don't really need this fan with a window for ventilation and its noise is
annoying the SO when she's relaxing in the bath.

The fan has a pull cord on it which triggers the unit in the same way the
switched live does. I'd like to remove the switched line feed to the device
so we have the option of running it when we want to by pulling the cord but
otherwise it stays silent.

My question is what to do with the switched live wire. If I simply
disconnect it then there's a live wire floating around. I've tried to trace
the wire back to a junction box to remove it with no avail.

It has been suggested to me to wire it along side the permanent live into
the fan, which is ringing alarm bells somewhere.....

Can I make the wire safe in some way?

Dave

--
"Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is interesting. What they
conceal is vital. "

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Wade

Dave P wrote:

My question is what to do with the switched live wire. If I simply
disconnect it then there's a live wire floating around. I've tried to trace
the wire back to a junction box to remove it with no avail.

It has been suggested to me to wire it along side the permanent live into
the fan, which is ringing alarm bells somewhere.....

That would make the light come on all the time. Is a 3-pole fan
isolator switch fitted anywhere? If so you could disconnect the
outgoing sw. L feed there. Otherwise it's best to disconnect it at the
light end if you can - there'll either be a junction box in the loft or
a terminal strip in the luminaire. You should still insulate the end
though - fold the cut wire end back on itself an apply a few turns of
red (or brown) tape, or use heatshrink sleeving.

--
Andy