Wood-effect melamine board: Where can I find thicker boards?

Old January 16th 05, 12:35 PM
MM

Default Wood-effect melamine board: Where can I find thicker boards?

The type sold by B&Q and similar stores is quite thin, about 15 - 16
mm. Where could I get 19 - 20mm thickness? I'm looking for beech
effect.

MM
Old January 16th 05, 01:26 PM
Dave Gibson

"MM" wrote in message
The type sold by B&Q and similar stores is quite thin, about 15 - 16
mm. Where could I get 19 - 20mm thickness? I'm looking for beech
effect.

MM

Probably the cheapest solution would be 'thin' kitchen worktops, but may not
be wide enough.

You could always go for the 'real' thing and go for veneered MDF, beech
veneer is around £45 for a 19mm 2400x1200mm sheet (veneered both sides).

Most timber merchants will order it for you.

Dave

Old January 16th 05, 11:51 PM
David Shepherd

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 12:35:17 +0000, MM wrote:

The type sold by B&Q and similar stores is quite thin, about 15 - 16
mm. Where could I get 19 - 20mm thickness? I'm looking for beech
effect.

MM

Some timber merchants sell it.
Silvermans are an importer/distributor
http://www.silverman.co.uk/index.php

They only sell large quantities but they do list wood effect melamine
on chipboard and mdf in thicknesses up to 30mm. A google on the brand
names may throw up a retailer near you.

Dave
Old January 17th 05, 08:37 AM
Dave

As David said, a lot of timber merchants sell it, try a Google search.
Problem I've found is that they will only sell 8 x 4 sheets and charge
a fortune for delivery, so unless you can somehow collect it works out
expensive.

Dave

### micro-FAQ on wood # 014 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 July 10th 04 01:38 PM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 010 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 May 22nd 04 08:45 AM
Unwarping wood Phil Addison UK diy 0 May 10th 04 07:12 PM
How Much Wood Are You Willing to “Waste” (Long) charlie b Woodworking 7 March 4th 04 06:05 PM
QUESTION : What type of wood is safe to use for a cutting board ? [email protected] Woodworking 13 January 26th 04 07:38 PM