How do you measure a brick wall's height?

Old August 1st 03, 02:32 PM
Dean

Default How do you measure a brick wall's height?

Hello,

I want to replace a broken down fence between my garden and my
neighbours. The ground slopes slightly down the garden (about 500mm in
6 metre). What I would like to do is build up a retaining wall which
comes out of the ground about 2 brick courses at the shallow end and
0.5m + 2 brick courses at the deep end. Then I would like to build
brick pillars that will take 5 foot tall fence panels.

for example

X X X X
X-------X-------X-------X
X-------X-------X-------X
X-------X-------X-------X
X-------X-------X-------X
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
\\\\\\\\ X
\\\\\\\\\\\\ X
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ X
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\X
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

F = foundation
X = brick
\ = sloping ground
- = fence panel

You get the idea ( I hope!)

The question is will I need building approval. The max height will be
2m foot from floor to the top of a pillar, however the supporting wall
will only protrude out of the ground 2 brick courses (we will be
laying a level patio down the slope, so that standing on the patio you
will only see a 2 brick high wall with pillars – almost brick ‘gravel
boards').

If a brick is 225mm long and 1mm high (when mortared in), then by my
calculation, the average height of the whole wall (with 4 * 2m high
pillars) will be (1.125m * 2m)+(5m * 0.2m)/6m = 0.5m or so. Is the
average height used to determine whether building regs approval is
needed or the maximum height.

Will I get away wil the foundations that are described in books for
garden walls less than 1m in height (form which building regs approval
is not needed) or will the pillars affect these?

I would like to build 2 bricks wide and support the pillars with a
central steel rod concreted through into the foundation. Will this
suffice?

Any info or advice would be welcome.

Dean.