John Armstrong

Default How do you measure a brick wall's height?

On 1 Aug 2003 06:32:16 -0700, (Dean)
wrote:

The question is will I need building approval. The max height will be
2m foot from floor to the top of a pillar, however the supporting wall
will only protrude out of the ground 2 brick courses (we will be
laying a level patio down the slope, so that standing on the patio you
will only see a 2 brick high wall with pillars – almost brick ‘gravel
boards').

If a brick is 225mm long and 1mm high (when mortared in), then by my
calculation, the average height of the whole wall (with 4 * 2m high
pillars) will be (1.125m * 2m)+(5m * 0.2m)/6m = 0.5m or so. Is the
average height used to determine whether building regs approval is
needed or the maximum height.

I don't follow your calculation, but assume the 1mm high bricks is a
mistake. Standard bricks are 65mm high, plus 10mm mortar joint.
Do you mean building regulations or planning permission?
Don't think building regs relevent to fences/garden walls.
For planning permission, see part 2 class A of
http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1995/Uksi_19950418_en_4.htm

Planning permission needed for any fence or wall over 1m adjacent to a
highway, 2m elsewhere. Not sure whether the height would be to the top
of your fence panels, or the piers (or fence posts in other
situations) though.
Not quite clear what the max height will be from your paragraph above.

--
John