Darren

Default Leak at plastic soil pipe to clay soil pipe join

I have a leak at the join between the plastic soil pipe running vertically
down from the bathroom and the clay soil pipe sticking vertically out of the
ground. They are connected by a HepSleve plastic connector.

On inspection (throught rodding eye) the plastic soil pipe stops 10mm short
of (i.e. it doesn't fit into) the clay pipe, as I would have expected.
Therefore the join is relying on the seal between the OD of the pipes and
the ID of the plastic joining sleeve that both pipes fit into. The leak is
between the clay pipe OD and the joining sleeve ID.

Is this normal, or should the plastic pipe go slightly into the clay pipe?

If so, unfortunatly, dropping/replacing with a longer plastic pipe is not
really an option. Major distruction to bathroom tiles would be required.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Darren

Hepworth Plumbing Team

"Darren" wrote in message
[...]

It is possible that the soil to clay adaptor has moved or been damaged.
There is an application detail drawing showing how the connection should
look he -

http://www.hepworthdrainage.co.uk/pd..._details_2.pdf

Relacement HepSleve to soil pipe adaptors are available, Hepworth code VA9.

For further advice, contact the Hepworth Drainage Technical Advisory Service
on 0870 4435551

The Hepworth Plumbing Team

Darren

It is possible that the soil to clay adaptor has moved or been damaged.

There is an application detail drawing showing how the connection should
look he -

http://www.hepworthdrainage.co.uk/pd..._details_2.pdf

Thanks for this. I see the plastic pipe doesn't go inside the clay pipe
(although this would surely make the joint better and not rely on the
'rubber' seals). Of course the plastic pipe would need to be a smaller
diameter.

My adaptor hasn't moved (permanently), I think the seal has just failed
around the clay pipe. Maybe the plastic pipe was moved up and down slightly
when I had a new toilet fitted a couple of years ago and the adaptor moved
with it, breaking the 28 year old seal around the clay pipe.

I'll call the advice line.

Many thanks,

Darren.