Chris

Default what's the cost of beam and block flooring

I'm considering concrete beam and block to replace a suspended timber
ground floor. Can anyone give an idea of the cost comparison for
concrete and timber. I'm only looking at a room size of about 4m x 5m.
Thanks, Chris.
The Natural Philosopher

Chris wrote:

I'm considering concrete beam and block to replace a suspended timber
ground floor. Can anyone give an idea of the cost comparison for
concrete and timber. I'm only looking at a room size of about 4m x 5m.
Thanks, Chris.

If DIY probably cheaper. Contact travis perkins for a quote.
You need to get the beams made specially to size.

However its usually cheaper to just chuck hardcore and cement down and
then DPM and screed. Any reason for suspended? BCO insisted in my case
due to large areas/wet clay/presence of tree roots etc.

IMM

"Chris" wrote in message
m...

I'm considering concrete beam and block to replace a suspended timber
ground floor. Can anyone give an idea of the cost comparison for
concrete and timber. I'm only looking at a room size of about 4m x 5m.
Thanks, Chris.

If you are going to install a beam and block floor, use the system that uses
insulation foam as the blocks. The beams are concrete inverted "T"s. The
slightly curved foam blocks fit between. This gives the a well insulated
floor.

Chris

The Natural Philosopher wrote in message ...
Chris wrote:

I'm considering concrete beam and block to replace a suspended timber
ground floor. Can anyone give an idea of the cost comparison for
concrete and timber. I'm only looking at a room size of about 4m x 5m.
Thanks, Chris.

If DIY probably cheaper. Contact travis perkins for a quote.
You need to get the beams made specially to size.

However its usually cheaper to just chuck hardcore and cement down and
then DPM and screed. Any reason for suspended? BCO insisted in my case
due to large areas/wet clay/presence of tree roots etc.

The void below the floor is greater than 600mm which would make
infilling a problem. This is an old solid walled terrace house so I'm
also wondering how the not inconsiderable self-weight of the floor
will be supported.
The Natural Philosopher

Chris wrote:

I'm considering concrete beam and block to replace a suspended timber
ground floor. Can anyone give an idea of the cost comparison for
concrete and timber. I'm only looking at a room size of about 4m x 5m.
Thanks, Chris.

If DIY probably cheaper. Contact travis perkins for a quote.
You need to get the beams made specially to size.

However its usually cheaper to just chuck hardcore and cement down and
then DPM and screed. Any reason for suspended? BCO insisted in my case
due to large areas/wet clay/presence of tree roots etc.

The void below the floor is greater than 600mm which would make
infilling a problem. This is an old solid walled terrace house so I'm
also wondering how the not inconsiderable self-weight of the floor
will be supported.

Probably by adding some pillars, or a wall inside the wall etc.

The beams need to be well supported.

600mm on a smallish floor area is not much to infill - a few tons of
crushed limestone whacked down, and over filled with concrete..

IMM

Chris wrote:

[...]

Where does the insulation go?

Jerry Built

Chris wrote:
I'm considering concrete beam and block to replace a suspended
timber ground floor.

Why?? That's the big question....

Can anyone give an idea of the cost comparison for concrete and
timber. I'm only looking at a room size of about 4m x 5m.

I don't know, but I should thing that a timber floor will be much
cheaper and easier to install than a suspended concrete one! Even
with insulation and nice boards....

J.B.

The Natural Philosopher

Chris wrote:

[...]

Between the top screed dressing (3-4") and the concrete. Over a DPM.

Th eidea is to provide a stable sub base of crushed material that won';t
wash away or encourage tree roots in neasr teh surface, then a fairly
structural layer of concrete, possibly reinforced, then a damp and heat
isulatiuon lateyer, then a surcfae finsih of not partiucularly strong
material (screed) to provide smoothness.

If you look at the building regs, you will find that such a floor has a
far lower U value than its dimensions and the insulatin suggest: This is
because the sub base and earth itself provide significant insulation in
themselves, being very massive.

I think we calculated last year that a 3 meter thinck stone wall would
also meet building regulatins for insulation values as well. Those old
castles weren't cold and draughty after all.

The Natural Philosopher

Jerry Built wrote:

Chris wrote:

I'm considering concrete beam and block to replace a suspended
timber ground floor.

Why?? That's the big question....

Can anyone give an idea of the cost comparison for concrete and
timber. I'm only looking at a room size of about 4m x 5m.

I don't know, but I should thing that a timber floor will be much
cheaper and easier to install than a suspended concrete one! Even
with insulation and nice boards....

No, it isn;tt. And its draughty as well because you have to let
underfloor spaces breathe or risk rot.

There are two classic asnwers - fill the void or use block and beam.
There is very little cost difference, and block and beam is recommended
where there are either huge voids, or risk of soil movement underneath.

Essentially with block and beam you dig deep foundation is small areas
top acvhieve stability: Then span them weith teh beams infilled with
concrete blocks. A quick brush of wet snad and cement seals them, and
then DPM, insulation and screed is applied over the top.

With a simple slab, you cahiev sbitlity by useing porous material - hard
core or limestone - that can take a little soil mobement, and then
appluy a concrete layer over teh top to lock it all in place. The loads
ar dustributed evenly, and if well compacted, its pretty stable on most
solis.

The same DPM insulation and screed goes on top later.

Apoart from sounding more hollow, there is very little difference in
them, except te slab is a bit warmer, as it doesn't have icy air
circulatig underneath in winter.

If you want a wooden surface, use laminate, or use battens on the screed
and traditional T & G boards.

J.B.

Jerry Built

Jerry Built wrote:
Chris wrote:
I'm considering concrete beam and block to replace a suspended
timber ground floor.

I don't know, but I should thing that a timber floor will be much
cheaper and easier to install than a suspended concrete one! Even
with insulation and nice boards....

No, it isn;tt. And its draughty as well because you have to let
underfloor spaces breathe or risk rot.

Not draughty with insulation as I mentioned above....

[ snip ]

J.B.

Cicero

snipped

I don't know, but I should thing that a timber floor will be much
cheaper and easier to install than a suspended concrete one! Even
with insulation and nice boards....

No, it isn;tt. And its draughty as well because you have to let
underfloor spaces breathe or risk rot.

snipped

==================
Given that the OP already has a suspended floor it should be cheaper to
refurbish that rather than complete replacement by either infill or concrete
block and beam.

I recently replaced my suspended timber floors including the addition of
50mm insulation and the cost was about £150-00 per room - 4m x 4m approx..
The job was actually quite straightforward and caused very little
disturbance or mess.

Cic.

The Natural Philosopher

Jerry Built wrote:

Chris wrote:

I'm considering concrete beam and block to replace a suspended
timber ground floor.

I don't know, but I should thing that a timber floor will be much
cheaper and easier to install than a suspended concrete one! Even
with insulation and nice boards....

No, it isn;tt. And its draughty as well because you have to let
underfloor spaces breathe or risk rot.

Not draughty with insulation as I mentioned above....

Yes, but you still have an underfloor draught that reduces the
temperature of the floor.

Even with insulation. I know cos I have a block and beam floor and its
definitely colder even with insulation than solid floor with equivalent
insulation.

[ snip ]

J.B.

The Natural Philosopher

Cicero wrote:

snipped

I don't know, but I should thing that a timber floor will be much
cheaper and easier to install than a suspended concrete one! Even
with insulation and nice boards....

No, it isn;tt. And its draughty as well because you have to let
underfloor spaces breathe or risk rot.

snipped

==================
Given that the OP already has a suspended floor it should be cheaper to
refurbish that rather than complete replacement by either infill or concrete
block and beam.

I recently replaced my suspended timber floors including the addition of
50mm insulation and the cost was about £150-00 per room - 4m x 4m approx..
The job was actually quite straightforward and caused very little
disturbance or mess.

Cic.

A lot depends on the lack of rot and damp proofing below. Sure you can
sling in new joists, lay unsulation and cover with planks, BUT that is
likley to be as expensive as a straight concrete jobbie, and, if
underlying damp issues are not sorted, itself rot in due course.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Chris, RONNIE BRIGGS wrote:
i have an area 10.5 x 5 meters how much would it cost to block and beam this
area

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ing-96515-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/09/2017 22:14, RONNIE BRIGGS wrote:
replying to Chris, RONNIE BRIGGS wrote: i have an area 10.5 x 5
meters how much would it cost to block and beam this area

This might assist you with posting to a newsgroup, albeit through a website:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855

- If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just
enough text of the original to give a context.

Especially when you specifically say you're 'replying' to Chris.

Is Chris still alive? His post was 13 years ago.

Better to start a new post rather than resurrect a very old one.

Perhaps you can read the old thread and tell us what the estimates were,
I doubt they have gone up very much?