Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BBC post Scottish Independence

Does anyone know what will happen to the BBC if the Scotts leave UK?
Will they have to pay us for BBC Scotland? Will we get a licence
rebate?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/09/2014 19:11, Lawrence wrote:
Does anyone know what will happen to the BBC if the Scotts leave UK?
Will they have to pay us for BBC Scotland? Will we get a licence rebate?

Nobody ****Knows**** anything about what will happen to anything if the
Scotts leave the UK.

Its all currently bluster and lies from politicians - working out the
details doesn't even start until after the vote.

(How anyone can come to an informed descision in the circumstances is
completely beyond me, but luckily I don't have to vote)

--
Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/09/14 19:33, news wrote:
On 14/09/2014 19:11, Lawrence wrote:
Does anyone know what will happen to the BBC if the Scotts leave UK?
Will they have to pay us for BBC Scotland? Will we get a licence rebate?

Nobody ****Knows**** anything about what will happen to anything if the
Scotts leave the UK.

Its all currently bluster and lies from politicians - working out the
details doesn't even start until after the vote.

(How anyone can come to an informed descision in the circumstances is
completely beyond me, but luckily I don't have to vote)

+1.

Presumably BBC Scotland will become the pravda of the north, and be spun
out and charged to willing taxpayers to broadcast an unending stream of
hatred and vilification of the English, who will be blamed for every
cockup Salmond makes far far longer than he has blamed Margaret Thatcher..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , news
writes
On 14/09/2014 19:11, Lawrence wrote:
Does anyone know what will happen to the BBC if the Scotts leave UK?
Will they have to pay us for BBC Scotland? Will we get a licence rebate?

Nobody ****Knows**** anything about what will happen to anything if the
Scotts leave the UK.

Its all currently bluster and lies from politicians - working out the
details doesn't even start until after the vote.

(How anyone can come to an informed descision in the circumstances is
completely beyond me, but luckily I don't have to vote)

Even if the vote is yes, Scotland won't become independent until 2016 -
which is at least one renewal away. It's my guess that any new SBC will
be allocated their fair share of the cash already collected, and
thereafter they'll have to organise their own system of finance.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/09/2014 19:57, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , news
writes
On 14/09/2014 19:11, Lawrence wrote:
Does anyone know what will happen to the BBC if the Scotts leave UK?
Will they have to pay us for BBC Scotland? Will we get a licence rebate?

Nobody ****Knows**** anything about what will happen to anything if
the Scotts leave the UK.

Its all currently bluster and lies from politicians - working out the
details doesn't even start until after the vote.

(How anyone can come to an informed descision in the circumstances is
completely beyond me, but luckily I don't have to vote)

Even if the vote is yes, Scotland won't become independent until 2016 -
which is at least one renewal away. It's my guess that any new SBC will
be allocated their fair share of the cash already collected, and
thereafter they'll have to organise their own system of finance.

Seems like they (i.e. Scotland) have already had their fair share...

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...e-impartiality

Perhaps those left in the rest of the UK will get a reduction? (Fat
chance, I know. :-) )

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Lawrence" wrote in message
et...
Does anyone know what will happen to the BBC if the Scotts leave UK? Will
they have to pay us for BBC Scotland? Will we get a licence rebate?

Will the Doctor get deported?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote

"Lawrence" wrote in message
et...
Does anyone know what will happen to the BBC if the Scotts leave UK? Will
they have to pay us for BBC Scotland? Will we get a licence rebate?

Will the Doctor get deported?

Who ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lawrence wrote

Does anyone know what will happen to the BBC if the Scotts leave UK?

No one does, that stuff is never decided until they have decided to leave.

Will they have to pay us for BBC Scotland?

Why should they ?

Will we get a licence rebate?

Not a chance.

If they decide to keep the same arrangement of a license,
which isnt that likely given that hardly anyone else does it
like that, presumably they will just carry on regardless and
work out some way of getting what they want from the
licence fees they collect from their own.

New Zealand and Ireland do manage fine with similar numbers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lawrence wrote

Does anyone know what will happen to the BBC if the Scotts leave UK?
Will they have to pay us for BBC Scotland? Will we get a licence
rebate?

I'm still wondering what currency they will use. I reckon the Groat
fits the bill. I believe it was the Scottish currency until we
civilised them...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/09/2014 19:33, news wrote:
On 14/09/2014 19:11, Lawrence wrote:
Does anyone know what will happen to the BBC if the Scotts leave UK?
Will they have to pay us for BBC Scotland? Will we get a licence rebate?

Nobody ****Knows**** anything about what will happen to anything if the
Scotts leave the UK.

Its all currently bluster and lies from politicians - working out the
details doesn't even start until after the vote.

(How anyone can come to an informed descision in the circumstances is
completely beyond me, but luckily I don't have to vote)

Actually 90% of the bluster and lies are from the SNP. God help them if
the vote is yes when the reality strikes the electorate.

--
Peter Crosland

Reply address is valid
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote

"Jabba" wrote in message
dhosting.com...

ARW wrote

"Lawrence" wrote in message
et...
Does anyone know what will happen to the BBC if the Scotts leave UK?
Will
they have to pay us for BBC Scotland? Will we get a licence rebate?

Will the Doctor get deported?

Who ?

Yes.

Dr Who is based in Cardiff, which was in Wales the last time I checked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/09/2014 22:18, Jabba wrote:
Richard wrote

"Jabba" wrote in message
dhosting.com...

ARW wrote

"Lawrence" wrote in message
et...
Does anyone know what will happen to the BBC if the Scotts leave UK?
Will
they have to pay us for BBC Scotland? Will we get a licence rebate?

Will the Doctor get deported?

Who ?

Yes.

Dr Who is based in Cardiff, which was in Wales the last time I checked.

Peter Dougan Capaldi (born 14 April 1958) is a Scottish actor and film
director. Wasn't that the reference?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, September 14, 2014 9:50:19 PM UTC+1, Jabba wrote:
I'm still wondering what currency they will use. I reckon the Groat
fits the bill. I believe it was the Scottish currency until we
civilised them...

The currency was the pound Scots.

The groat was actually a type of coin which was issued in England, Scotland, and many other countries.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote

On 14/09/2014 22:18, Jabba wrote:
Richard wrote

"Jabba" wrote in message
dhosting.com...

ARW wrote

"Lawrence" wrote in message
et...
Does anyone know what will happen to the BBC if the Scotts leave UK?
Will
they have to pay us for BBC Scotland? Will we get a licence rebate?

Will the Doctor get deported?

Who ?

Yes.

Dr Who is based in Cardiff, which was in Wales the last time I checked.

Peter Dougan Capaldi (born 14 April 1958) is a Scottish actor and film
director. Wasn't that the reference?

Last I heard he was a resident of Crouch End.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/09/2014 22:04, Peter Crosland wrote:
On 14/09/2014 19:33, news wrote:
On 14/09/2014 19:11, Lawrence wrote:
Does anyone know what will happen to the BBC if the Scotts leave UK?
Will they have to pay us for BBC Scotland? Will we get a licence rebate?

Nobody ****Knows**** anything about what will happen to anything if the
Scotts leave the UK.

Its all currently bluster and lies from politicians - working out the
details doesn't even start until after the vote.

(How anyone can come to an informed descision in the circumstances is
completely beyond me, but luckily I don't have to vote)

Actually 90% of the bluster and lies are from the SNP. God help them if
the vote is yes when the reality strikes the electorate.

No, no-one should help them not even god.

I do wonder whether they will conclude that full independence is not
worth the cost and the effort when they start making plans.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/09/14 22:39, Jabba wrote:
polygonum wrote

On 14/09/2014 22:18, Jabba wrote:
Richard wrote

"Jabba" wrote in message
dhosting.com...

ARW wrote

"Lawrence" wrote in message
et...
Does anyone know what will happen to the BBC if the Scotts leave UK?
Will
they have to pay us for BBC Scotland? Will we get a licence rebate?

Will the Doctor get deported?

Who ?

Yes.

Dr Who is based in Cardiff, which was in Wales the last time I checked.

Peter Dougan Capaldi (born 14 April 1958) is a Scottish actor and film
director. Wasn't that the reference?

Last I heard he was a resident of Crouch End.

I was one a resident of Crouch End. Probably the worst year of my life.
Nope, I had a worse one later, but that wasn't because of where I lived.

I have nightmares sometimes, that I am an OAP on benefits living in
Crouch end, or Holloway road/archway. And I can't quite bring myself to
jump off the high bridge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 14/09/14 19:33, news wrote:
On 14/09/2014 19:11, Lawrence wrote:
Does anyone know what will happen to the BBC if the Scotts leave UK?
Will they have to pay us for BBC Scotland? Will we get a licence rebate?

Nobody ****Knows**** anything about what will happen to anything if the
Scotts leave the UK.

Its all currently bluster and lies from politicians - working out the
details doesn't even start until after the vote.

(How anyone can come to an informed descision in the circumstances is
completely beyond me, but luckily I don't have to vote)

+1.

Presumably BBC Scotland will become the pravda of the north, and be
spun out and charged to willing taxpayers to broadcast an unending
stream of hatred and vilification of the English, who will be blamed
for every cockup Salmond makes far far longer than he has blamed
Margaret Thatcher..

Just going off at a tangent. what will happen to National Savings which
is based in Glasgow?
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/09/2014 20:14, polygonum wrote:
[...]

If they don't come to some agreement to keep the BBC, would it be the
end of Freesat. Why should the Scots watch BBC TV paid for by the
English and Welsh for free?

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 19:11:37 +0100, Lawrence wrote:

Does anyone know what will happen to the BBC if the Scotts leave UK?
Will they have to pay us for BBC Scotland? Will we get a licence
rebate?

No they will get to watch exactly what the rest of the UK licence payers pay
140+ quid for but without them paying for a licence. It's called sponging. The
Scots have been doing it for many years now. 3k a year per head it costs the
english taxpayer to fund their lifestyle of free university education, free
prescriptions, discounted irn-bru and deep fried mars bars four days a week.

Come the glorious day when citizen salmond gets to do his really big sums the
jocks are in for a shock. A basic rate of 50% income tax just to stay where
they are now, if the oil price drops then it could exceed 100% basic rate with
no tax free band. At which point the fat **** will no doubt be bumped off along
with his ugly bint of a sidekick and the jocks will be begging to rejoin the UK,
at which point we tell them to **** off for 300 years while we consider their
absurd request.

Roll on Friday.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Not a chance when they end up with 90% of the gas.

if the oil price drops then it could exceed 100% basic rate with no tax
free band.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

At which point the fat **** will no doubt be
bumped off along with his ugly bint of a sidekick

Or they end up doing as well as Norway does from the gas.

and the jocks will be begging to rejoin the UK,
at which point we tell them to **** off for 300
years while we consider their absurd request.

Roll on Friday.

They will get another vote if the YES vote
doesn't get up this time, you watch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Michael Chare
writes
On 14/09/2014 19:33, news wrote:
On 14/09/2014 19:11, Lawrence wrote:
Does anyone know what will happen to the BBC if the Scotts leave UK?
Will they have to pay us for BBC Scotland? Will we get a licence rebate?

Nobody ****Knows**** anything about what will happen to anything if the
Scotts leave the UK.

Its all currently bluster and lies from politicians - working out the
details doesn't even start until after the vote.

(How anyone can come to an informed descision in the circumstances is
completely beyond me, but luckily I don't have to vote)

Actually 90% of the bluster and lies are from the SNP. God help them if
the vote is yes when the reality strikes the electorate.

No, no-one should help them not even god.

I do wonder whether they will conclude that full independence is not
worth the cost and the effort when they start making plans.

Most of the fervent YES supporters seem convinced that total
independence will mean a land of milk and honey and free beer (subject
to a minimum price of 45p per unit). Common sense has gone completely
out of the window.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jabba wrote:
Lawrence wrote

Does anyone know what will happen to the BBC if the Scotts leave UK?
Will they have to pay us for BBC Scotland? Will we get a licence
rebate?

I'm still wondering what currency they will use.

*Would* use.

I reckon the Groat
fits the bill. I believe it was the Scottish currency until we
civilised them...

I suspect they'd end up with the poond, which would work like the punt
did for Ireland until 1978.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_pound

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Michael Chare
writes

I do wonder whether they will conclude that full independence is not
worth the cost and the effort when they start making plans.

I tend to think that, in the event of a Yes vote, Salmond will not let
independence fail. Money will be thrown at whatever problems arise for
a good few years, even if doing so means passing mountainous debts to
generations as yet unborn.

This is Wee Eck's big moment. This is his moment to go down in history
as the man who led Scotland to independence. He will not, cannot, let a
Yes vote fail.
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/14 08:40, News wrote:
In message , Michael Chare
writes

I do wonder whether they will conclude that full independence is not
worth the cost and the effort when they start making plans.

I tend to think that, in the event of a Yes vote, Salmond will not let
independence fail. Money will be thrown at whatever problems arise for
a good few years, even if doing so means passing mountainous debts to
generations as yet unborn.

Ahem. But where will he get the money?

and Independent Scottish government would have the credit status of
Phones4U.

And that is what will happen. Salmond will run out of cash, tax anything
that moves, or rather doesn't move, because everything else will run for
the border, destroy it and end up blaming the English when no one will
lend him any money.

The smart people and most of the businesses will emigrate, leaving
Scotland to sink into the pit of slime it will have dug for itself.

Think Chavez etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economi...vez_government

This is Wee Eck's big moment. This is his moment to go down in history
as the man who led Scotland to independence. He will not, cannot, let a
Yes vote fail.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 08:40:43 +0100, News wrote:

I tend to think that, in the event of a Yes vote, Salmond will not let
independence fail. Money will be thrown at whatever problems arise for
a good few years, even if doing so means passing mountainous debts to
generations as yet unborn.

This is Wee Eck's big moment. This is his moment to go down in history
as the man who led Scotland to independence.

+1

He will not, cannot, let a Yes vote fail.

Double Plus One.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 08:40:43 +0100, News wrote:

This is Wee Eck's big moment. This is his moment to go down in history
as the man who led Scotland to independence. He will not, cannot, let a
Yes vote fail.

I don't think he actually WANTS a Yes. Not really.

My theory is that his ideal is a very narrow No. Close enough that he can
use it as a stick to beat his preferred DevoMax out of Westminster, but
still a definite No, so that he doesn't have to actually deal with the
difficult and expensive reality of setting up all the machinery of a
country from scratch.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/14 09:53, Adrian wrote:
On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 08:40:43 +0100, News wrote:

This is Wee Eck's big moment. This is his moment to go down in history
as the man who led Scotland to independence. He will not, cannot, let a
Yes vote fail.

I don't think he actually WANTS a Yes. Not really.

My theory is that his ideal is a very narrow No. Close enough that he can
use it as a stick to beat his preferred DevoMax out of Westminster, but
still a definite No, so that he doesn't have to actually deal with the
difficult and expensive reality of setting up all the machinery of a
country from scratch.

I think so too, and I suspect the Opinion polls that showed the gap
narrowing were actually 'helped' within the error margins, fir
commercial gain.

Shorting the pound followed by a couple of polls showing imminent 'yes'
could net a few million easily. Likewise its put impetus into the 'no'
campaign, and that suits a few books as well.

And its got an offer of devo max too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/09/2014 19:33, news wrote:
[...]

That is essentially what Norway got.

and free beer (subject to a minimum price of 45p per unit). Common sense
has gone completely out of the window.

Same thing happened with most of those that left the empire too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tart on Toast wrote:
No they will get to watch exactly what the rest of the UK licence payers
pay 140+ quid for but without them paying for a licence. It's called
sponging. The Scots have been doing it for many years now. 3k a year
per head it costs the english taxpayer to fund their lifestyle of free
university education, free prescriptions, discounted irn-bru and deep
fried mars bars four days a week.

Care to speculate about the income per head provided by North Sea oil, etc?

--
*There are two kinds of pedestrians... the quick and the dead.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 08:40:43 +0100, News wrote:

This is Wee Eck's big moment. This is his moment to go down in
history as the man who led Scotland to independence. He will not,
cannot, let a Yes vote fail.

I don't think he actually WANTS a Yes. Not really.

My theory is that his ideal is a very narrow No. Close enough that he
can use it as a stick to beat his preferred DevoMax out of Westminster,
but still a definite No, so that he doesn't have to actually deal with
the difficult and expensive reality of setting up all the machinery of
a country from scratch.

I wonder if Westminster politicians will have learnt anything from all
this? Which I'd say is that the policies of all recent governments
allowing the gap between the richest and poorest to widen dramatically -
and the gap between the richest and average to widen dramatically too -
isn't actually what the majority of the population benefit from.

--
*How does Moses make his tea? Hebrews it.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote
Michael Chare wrote

I do wonder whether they will conclude that full independence is
not worth the cost and the effort when they start making plans.

I tend to think that, in the event of a Yes vote, Salmond
will not let independence fail. Money will be thrown at
whatever problems arise for a good few years,

Corse he will, just like any polly does.

even if doing so means passing mountainous
debts to generations as yet unborn.

That isnt going to happen when they have 90% of the gas.

They'll do as well as Norway has, for the same reason.

This is Wee Eck's big moment. This is his moment to go down
in history as the man who led Scotland to independence. He
will not, cannot, let a Yes vote fail.

Yep, just like with all those others that chose to leave the empire.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/14 08:40, News wrote:
In message , Michael Chare
writes

I do wonder whether they will conclude that full independence is not
worth the cost and the effort when they start making plans.

I tend to think that, in the event of a Yes vote, Salmond will not let
independence fail. Money will be thrown at whatever problems arise for
a good few years, even if doing so means passing mountainous debts to
generations as yet unborn.

Ahem. But where will he get the money?

The gas revenue.

and Independent Scottish government would have the credit status of
Phones4U.

Nope, because of the gas revenue.

And that is what will happen.

Nope, just like Norway didnt.

Salmond will run out of cash, tax anything that moves, or rather doesn't
move, because everything else will run for the border, destroy it and end
up blaming the English when no one will lend him any money.

Fantasy.

The smart people and most of the businesses will emigrate, leaving
Scotland to sink into the pit of slime it will have dug for itself.

Think Chavez etc.

He doesnt have the gas revenue. Norway did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economi...vez_government

This is Wee Eck's big moment. This is his moment to go down in history
as the man who led Scotland to independence. He will not, cannot, let a
Yes vote fail.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 08:40:43 +0100, News wrote:

This is Wee Eck's big moment. This is his moment to go down in
history as the man who led Scotland to independence. He will not,
cannot, let a Yes vote fail.

I don't think he actually WANTS a Yes. Not really.

My theory is that his ideal is a very narrow No. Close enough that he
can use it as a stick to beat his preferred DevoMax out of Westminster,
but still a definite No, so that he doesn't have to actually deal with
the difficult and expensive reality of setting up all the machinery of
a country from scratch.

I wonder if Westminster politicians will have learnt anything from all
this?

I doubt it, few pollys that have any say on anything ever do.

They just do what they have decided to do and sometimes
that works like with Thatcher and sometimes it doesn’t, like
with Thatcher when she got the bums rush with the poll tax.

Which I'd say is that the policies of all recent governments allowing
the gap between the richest and poorest to widen dramatically

Since that has happened world wide, its unlikely to be
due to anything any particular group of pollys has done.

and the gap between the richest and average to widen dramatically
too - isn't actually what the majority of the population benefit from.

That's true in spades of house prices.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2014 09:53, Adrian wrote:
On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 08:40:43 +0100, News wrote:

This is Wee Eck's big moment. This is his moment to go down in history
as the man who led Scotland to independence. He will not, cannot, let a
Yes vote fail.

I don't think he actually WANTS a Yes. Not really.

My theory is that his ideal is a very narrow No. Close enough that he can
use it as a stick to beat his preferred DevoMax out of Westminster, but
still a definite No, so that he doesn't have to actually deal with the
difficult and expensive reality of setting up all the machinery of a
country from scratch.

Haven't the Gibberment already promised DevoMax anyway if the answer's
No way, Jimmy?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2014 10:12, Rod Speed wrote:

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message

snip
Most of the fervent YES supporters seem convinced that total
independence will mean a land of milk and honey

That is essentially what Norway got.

Norway started as a very poor, rural backwater with none of the
overstaffed, worn out relics of the UKs industrial revolution that made
the world what it is today !. They started with a clean sheet of paper,
but in 50 years time they will regret not looking at what has happened
to Luton and Bradford before they embarked on a typically-socialist open
doors immigration policies.

In 1990 I travelled around NZ and met up with a couple of Norwegian SAS
employees, one an air-hostess, the other back-office. The latter lady
remembers as a young child her parents were too poor to buy shoes for
her. Suddenly this country of 3 million people inherited a vast fortune.
Meanwhile across the North Sea we had 58 million people, a massive,
historic armed forces, huge state-run industries making vast losses
every year. Millions of under and unemployed souls. Tens of millions of
days lost to strikes every year. North Sea oil and a change of
government gave the UK a one-off chance to sort out the problems of
post-empire de-industrialisation.

One of those casualties was the Scottish rust belt. Many people think
Mrs T was responsible for that, but who could blame her ?. Scotland,
like Wales and the North of England was where all her political enemies
reside. Why would she help these people ?. And in any case it was world
econonomics, a glut of steel and coal, and the Common MArket Coal and
Steel policies that made the heavy industries contract. Even if Mrs T
had never won in 1979, ed Milipedes 2008 Climate change act would have
shut them all down - just look at Didcot power station as an example.
And it was Glasgow city council who, in the 70's and 80's demolished
vast areas of the city centre in favout of a series of concrete
soviet-style tower blocks at ?Easterhouse.

And after the miners strike, never again would Mrs T allow an elected
government (Ted Heath) be brought down by unelected trades unions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2014 03:10, Rod Speed wrote:

Not a chance when they end up with 90% of the gas.

The gas was all further south in English waters, and it has all been
used. Norway now supplies us via pipeline, and we import LNG from Qatar
and other places via Milford Haven.

Scotland still has oil, but the reserve estimates are varied, depending
on which politicians lies you listen to.

One thing is for certain, when oil drops below $100 a barrel, Wee Eckes
spending plans are in turmoil. Ditto Saudi Arabia.

Oil is currently $96 and falling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
And after the miners strike, never again would Mrs T allow an elected
government (Ted Heath) be brought down by unelected trades unions.

Quite.

But then the Scots dislike being ruled by a government they didn't vote
for either.

--
*A closed mouth gathers no feet.