Chris Spyrou

Default Switch Wiring

OK, please bare with as I really don't know how to descibe
this properly. Both the old and new have 6 hole (connectors).

The current 2G2W Double Switch had 3 sets of 1 top and 1
bottom connection.

The new one from TLC is a 2G2W Double Switch has 2 sets
of 2 top and 1 bottom connection.

The left switch is fine, but the right one needs to activate 2
separate lights. From what I can tell is that I think the old way
used a return path [the middle set]. There are 4 wires (plus
the earth), and from memory it's a red, black, blue and yellow,
but there seems to be only 3 connectors.

Does anyone understand what I am on about and if so can
anyone advise on wiring this up correctly?

Christian McArdle

Does anyone understand what I am on about and if so can
anyone advise on wiring this up correctly?

There will be 3 holes per switch on both types. There will be a common for
each and two outputs for each. You need to identify which holes were which
on each switch and move the wires over.

Frequently, the holes will be labelled 'C' for common and 'L1' and 'L2' for
the outputs.

Christian.

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Chris Spyrou wrote:
but the right one needs to activate 2
separate lights. From what I can tell is that I think the old way
used a return path [the middle set]. There are 4 wires (plus
the earth), and from memory it's a red, black, blue and yellow,
but there seems to be only 3 connectors.

Does anyone understand what I am on about and if so can
anyone advise on wiring this up correctly?

A two-way switch circuit where two switches in different locations switch
one or more lamps will commonly have 5 wires at one switch, and three at
the other. I've included the circuit below.

L1 L1
0======================0============= Line
| |
C 0==========================O C
\ /
0======================0============= Switch return
L2 L2

The three wires between the two switches might well be red, yellow and
blue, and there *should* be a further red and black at one of the
switches which goes to the light fitting as in a normal one way switch.

However, for some reason best known to themselves, some electricians will
feed the circuit from one switch and take the switched output from the
other. Or used a shared feed to the one way and two way switch on the same
plate.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity -- I'm a carrier

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Confused 120v & 240v Wiring - Please Help James UK diy 4 November 2nd 03 07:14 PM
Wiring a 3 way light switch. Mike Hibbert UK diy 8 October 3rd 03 07:51 PM
Isolation switch wiring convention r.galvin UK diy 13 October 1st 03 06:34 AM
Wiring a light switch JohnB UK diy 2 September 5th 03 11:54 PM
Help wiring a dimmer switch please. JohnB UK diy 6 July 30th 03 01:19 PM