Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to get a perfect finish on a worktop

I've just had a fitter put in Bushboard Encore
"Black Sparkle" compression moulded acrylic worktops.
He's done a good job, but around the sink there are
very slightly lighter patches that he can't get out,
though he swears he's following the manufacturer's
instructions and using 1200 paper. When he comes
back off holiday, he says he's going to get some
"Magic Polish" from John Lewis (which I can't find
on their website) or get in the manufacturers, but
while he's away, I'd welcome any advice on how to
get a perfect finish.
Thanks,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2010 10:02, goodolpete wrote:
I've just had a fitter put in Bushboard Encore
"Black Sparkle" compression moulded acrylic worktops.
He's done a good job, but around the sink there are
very slightly lighter patches that he can't get out,
though he swears he's following the manufacturer's
instructions and using 1200 paper. When he comes
back off holiday, he says he's going to get some
"Magic Polish" from John Lewis (which I can't find
on their website) or get in the manufacturers, but
while he's away, I'd welcome any advice on how to
get a perfect finish.
Thanks,

I suppose the obvious question are why the patches are lighter around
the sink, and why abrasion was considered the cure. Did he use some kind
of sealant that has penetrated the surface? IME, even 1200 grit, will
change the texture and hence the light reflection, making it appear
paler. I think you need to apply something that reflects as much light
as the original surface. Some sort of car polish maybe?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 02:02:06 -0700 (PDT), goodolpete
wrote:

I've just had a fitter put in Bushboard Encore
"Black Sparkle" compression moulded acrylic worktops.
He's done a good job, but around the sink there are
very slightly lighter patches that he can't get out,
though he swears he's following the manufacturer's
instructions and using 1200 paper. When he comes
back off holiday, he says he's going to get some
"Magic Polish" from John Lewis (which I can't find
on their website) or get in the manufacturers, but
while he's away, I'd welcome any advice on how to
get a perfect finish.
Thanks,

Angle grinder.

--