Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Supplementary bonding and testing

I know that suppementary bonding has been done to death but we're in the
process of selling our house and the purchasers have had an electrical
inspection. One of the items uncovered is 'No supplementary bonding found
in bathroom' which he has classified as 'requires urgent attention'. The
purchasers are using this as a lever on price.

I've just fished out my copy of the 16th edition regs which classifies this
shortcoming as 'requires improvement' but can anyone tell me whether this
classification changed in the 17th edition regs?

Any insight greatly appreciated.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PhilB" wrote in message
I know that suppementary bonding has been done to death but we're in the
process of selling our house and the purchasers have had an electrical
inspection. One of the items uncovered is 'No supplementary bonding found
in bathroom' which he has classified as 'requires urgent attention'. The
purchasers are using this as a lever on price.

I've just fished out my copy of the 16th edition regs which classifies
this shortcoming as 'requires improvement' but can anyone tell me whether
this classification changed in the 17th edition regs?

Any insight greatly appreciated.

Phil

The main change with the 17th edition is that the supplementary bonding may
be omitted in bathrooms if

1. The main equipotential bonding meets current standards.
2. All electrical circuits to the bathroom have 30mA RCD protection.

It is your call as to how you wish to meet the regs (16th or 17th) if the
buyer is playing up.

Cheers

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 June, 19:58, "PhilB" wrote:
I know that suppementary bonding has been done to death but we're in the
process of selling our house and the purchasers have had an electrical
inspection. *One of the items uncovered is 'No supplementary bonding found
in bathroom' which he has classified as 'requires urgent attention'. *The
purchasers are using this as a lever on price.

I've just fished out my copy of the 16th edition regs which classifies this
shortcoming as 'requires improvement' but can anyone tell me whether this
classification changed in the 17th edition regs?

Any insight greatly appreciated.

Phil

No bonding found does not necessarily mean none present - unless you
know differently? Even if none is present could you install it
yourself using 4mm green-yellow singles or have a local electrician do
the job for you without incurring extensive decor problems?
What it comes down to is how desperate are you to sell.
The 17th edition also provides for omitting supplementary bonding
provided main bonding is present and all bathroom circuits are 30mA
RCD protected. Has your consumer unit RCD provision or could you
replace the light mcb with an RCBO and if no other circuits are
present that should cover the situation. If there are other circuits
RCBO them as well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PhilB" wrote in message
I know that suppementary bonding has been done to death but we're in the
process of selling our house and the purchasers have had an electrical
inspection. One of the items uncovered is 'No supplementary bonding found
in bathroom' which he has classified as 'requires urgent attention'. The
purchasers are using this as a lever on price.

I've just fished out my copy of the 16th edition regs which classifies
this shortcoming as 'requires improvement' but can anyone tell me whether
this classification changed in the 17th edition regs?

Any insight greatly appreciated.

Phil

Thanks both, that's very helpful. There is no bonding there but as you say,
either supplying it or an RCBO would fix it.
Phil