Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default WBP or OSB?

I asked about fascia boards a short while ago, and got plenty of good
advice.
I have decided to cut from 18mm * 2440mm * 1220mm sheets of WBP or OSB.

However I didn't get anything about the relative merits of WBP plywood vs.
OSB.

Looking at the Travis Perkins web site and the OSB looks cheaper than the
WBP (as expected) - strangely the OSB 3 looks cheaper than the OSB 2.

Looked at the DIY Wiki and the links gave two views (both from the US, I
think).
One said OSB will replace WBP.
The other said that you could expect expansion problems with OSB on the cut
edge.

So - front fascia across the front of the roof and side boarding under the
side overhangs to be cut from WBP or OSB and then painted.
There will have to be 4 joins in the visible run across the front.
I am assuming that I will make diagonal joins, glue them, then smooth and
fill to try and hide them.

So am I O.K. to go with the cheaper OSB or do I need to go for WBP?

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 June, 12:51, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:
[...]

I just got a load of OSB3 for a shed. Half the price of WBP ply.
I believe the OSB is less likely to twist etc. But I'm sure not quite
as water resistant as ply. I'm going to paint it or clad it
eventually, and I sealed the cut edges with bitumen paint.

However, if you are going to paint it, it will not look good. You can
see the strands on the surface to some extent.

What size are the boards ?
You can get 25mm x 150mm treated planed softwood.
I actually used this on my extension but covered it with PVCu fascia.
Is that an option too. You can get it with a nice ogee profile on the
bottom edge.

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Thanks.
Front board is probably 400mm deep by 7.8m long.
I have rejected softwood and plastic (discussed in an earlier thread).

We are debating if the visible strands will be a problem or opportunity :-)
With certain treatments e.g. varnish or stain they could become a 'feature'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I was looking at soffits and fascias last night. Just one thing occurs
as a result: do you need an eaves protection strip (for if the edges of
your felt are dodgey?

http://www.fascias.com/contents/en-u...n_Systems.html

I must admit - I'm in a similar quandry. I quite like the idea of
plastic (in mahogany) but I also like sticking random eye hooks in the
gutterboard for hanging things like tarpauline work area covers off (no
workshop or garage). Holes in wood don't matter. Holes in plastic do.
Perhaps I should just put a black eyebolt in every rafter end and make
it a feature!

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/06/10 13:21, David WE Roberts wrote:

We are debating if the visible strands will be a problem or opportunity :-)
With certain treatments e.g. varnish or stain they could become a
'feature'.

I applaud your open mindedness - but I think OSB looks as appealing as
Keith Richards after a night on the lash...

Ply will stain/varnish up quite well, especially if you take a sander to
it first.

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 12:51:32 +0100, David WE Roberts wrote:

So am I O.K. to go with the cheaper OSB or do I need to go for WBP?

I don't think OSB will take to any damp at all well. The bits of OSB
that I've had about outside have effectively fallen apart, similar
bits of WBP ply have just gone green and black but haven't
delaminated.

As for making the OSB strands a "feature", hum well each to their own
but to me it would look shoddy and scream "couldn't afford to do it
properly". Same painted, the rough surface would also tend to make
nice places for algae/lichen to grow.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 June, 15:37, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 12:51:32 +0100, David WE Roberts wrote:
So am I O.K. to go with the cheaper OSB or do I need to go for WBP?

I don't think OSB will take to any damp at all well. The bits of OSB
that I've had about outside have effectively fallen apart, similar
bits of WBP ply have just gone green and black but haven't
delaminated.

I've got some OSB3. I'll do a similar experiment and let you know how
it takes to the weather. Its supposed to be glued with resin which is
waterproof. Like the diff between normal ply and WBP I guess.

As for making the OSB strands a "feature", hum well each to their own
but to me it would look shoddy and scream "couldn't afford to do it
properly". Same painted, the rough surface would also tend to make
nice places for algae/lichen to grow.

I agree. 'Twould not look good.

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 12:51:32 +0100, David WE Roberts wrote:
So am I O.K. to go with the cheaper OSB or do I need to go for WBP?

I don't think OSB will take to any damp at all well. The bits of OSB
that I've had about outside have effectively fallen apart, similar
bits of WBP ply have just gone green and black but haven't
delaminated.

I've got some OSB3. I'll do a similar experiment and let you know how
it takes to the weather. Its supposed to be glued with resin which is
waterproof. Like the diff between normal ply and WBP I guess.

As for making the OSB strands a "feature", hum well each to their own
but to me it would look shoddy and scream "couldn't afford to do it
properly". Same painted, the rough surface would also tend to make
nice places for algae/lichen to grow.

I agree. 'Twould not look good.

Can't be that much rougher than my painted concrete blocks :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/06/10 18:03, David WE Roberts wrote:

Can't be that much rougher than my painted concrete blocks :-)

Is this the shed?

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 03/06/10 18:03, David WE Roberts wrote:

Can't be that much rougher than my painted concrete blocks :-)

Is this the shed?

TMOAS!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/06/10 18:48, David WE Roberts wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 03/06/10 18:03, David WE Roberts wrote:

Can't be that much rougher than my painted concrete blocks :-)

Is this the shed?

TMOAS!

Just seen the new picture. That's not a shed, it's a bomb shelter! ;-#)

Looking solid. What are those roofing panels? Aluminium?

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What board do they use for sarking board?

With low pitch roof (circa 22 degree & below) it is common to tile,
felt & sarking board - plus scotland and coastal areas tend to do
same. Interlocked tiles at very low pitch (ie, people start reaching
for second onduline roof underneath) do not seal as well as you would
think (or hope!).

I always thought it was OSB4, but suspect most "generic" board out
there is OSB3 unless stated otherwise. Marine Ply to BS1088 is good,
but I doubt someone wants to pay for that stuff in 18mm... I want the
cruise liner that's attached to it for that price.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 03/06/10 18:03, David WE Roberts wrote:

Can't be that much rougher than my painted concrete blocks :-)

Is this the shed?

TMOAS!

Just seen the new picture. That's not a shed, it's a bomb shelter! ;-#)

Looking solid. What are those roofing panels? Aluminium?

Come the next hurricane it will be a hard decision between the house and
shed for the more robust shelter. ;-)

The roof is plastic coated metal sheeting - Google 'plastisol'.
It is actually green, but the low angle of the sun makes it look white for
some reason.
I may post another coupkle of pictures to show the roof from on top and
underneath.