Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Good idea?

http://www.postsaver.co.uk/

No idea on price - and no stockist near me.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes
http://www.postsaver.co.uk/

No idea on price - and no stockist near me.

OK until water gets in (which it will) and the post is permanently damp
and then rots away like a good 'un
--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 May 2010 23:01:12 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes
http://www.postsaver.co.uk/

No idea on price - and no stockist near me.

OK until water gets in (which it will) and the post is permanently damp
and then rots away like a good 'un

The only satisfactory long-term protection process for timber is
complete fungal treatment.
Telegraph poles, for instance, are supposed to last at least 20 years
- quite a few have lasted much longer than this. Although numerous
treatment processes have been tried over the decades, the best (and
probably the cheapest) has always been proper creosote, not just
brushed on to the poles, but pressure/vacuum 'applied', hot, so that
it gets right into the cellular core of the pole.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 May 2010 23:01:12 +0100, geoff wrote:

OK until water gets in (which it will) and the post is permanently damp
and then rots away like a good 'un

I can see where you are coming from, rain and capillary action from
above or just capillary action from below but that's not quite the
same as the post in direct contact with the soil and the organisiums
in it. This band will also reduce the amount of oxygen available in
that critical length of post.

I doubt very much it's a "cure all", otherwise it would be common
practice to bandage posts at an below the soil boundary, after all
pitch and bitumen have been around for donkies years. I suspect it
may well slow the problem down, less wet, less oxygen but not stop
it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 May 2010 02:45:43 +0100, Frank Erskine
wrote:

On Thu, 6 May 2010 23:01:12 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes
http://www.postsaver.co.uk/

No idea on price - and no stockist near me.

OK until water gets in (which it will) and the post is permanently damp
and then rots away like a good 'un

The only satisfactory long-term protection process for timber is
complete fungal treatment.
Telegraph poles, for instance, are supposed to last at least 20 years
- quite a few have lasted much longer than this. Although numerous
treatment processes have been tried over the decades, the best (and
probably the cheapest) has always been proper creosote, not just
brushed on to the poles, but pressure/vacuum 'applied', hot, so that
it gets right into the cellular core of the pole.

Telegraph poles also have multiple longitudinal saw cuts around their
perimeter to enable the preservative to penetrate further.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 7, 1:45 pm, Frank Erskine wrote:
On Thu, 6 May 2010 23:01:12 +0100, geoff wrote:
In message , The Medway Handyman
writes
http://www.postsaver.co.uk/

No idea on price - and no stockist near me.

OK until water gets in (which it will) and the post is permanently damp
and then rots away like a good 'un

The only satisfactory long-term protection process for timber is
complete fungal treatment.
Telegraph poles, for instance, are supposed to last at least 20 years
- quite a few have lasted much longer than this. Although numerous
treatment processes have been tried over the decades, the best (and
probably the cheapest) has always been proper creosote, not just
brushed on to the poles, but pressure/vacuum 'applied', hot, so that
it gets right into the cellular core of the pole.

Forgive my ignorance of UK timber treatment since I'm in NZ, where we
have a standard code for treatment, which from memory is:-
H1 is treated against borer and is good for internal framing.
H2 is treated against termites. We don't have a termite problem in NZ.
H3 for above ground and is treatment against rot. I don't imagine the
borer like it either.
H4 for posts in the ground. These seem to last for ever.
H5 for posts in the sea.
I don't recall the rest. Does the UK have a similar scheme?
NZ does have millions of acres of Pinus Radiata which grows very fast
and absorbs the treatments very well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 May 2010 09:41:25 +0100, Bruce wrote:

Telegraph poles also have multiple longitudinal saw cuts around their
perimeter to enable the preservative to penetrate further.

Can't say I've ever noticed that, at least not above ground. Spiral
marks from them being turned yes but not saw cuts along the length. I
have a feeling such cuts would weaken the pole anyway.

Poles are vacuum treated, ie placed in a container, the air is pumped
out which draws air and some moisture out of the timber. Then the
treatment fluid is introduced followed by return to atmospheric
pressure. The air then pushes the treatment much further into the
timber if not all the way to the core. Unlike normal dipping or
exterior application which really only gets to the top few mm. I
can't see a real reason for requiring cuts.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:

snip

Telegraph poles, for instance, are supposed to last at least 20 years
- quite a few have lasted much longer than this. Although numerous
treatment processes have been tried over the decades, the best (and
probably the cheapest) has always been proper creosote, not just
brushed on to the poles, but pressure/vacuum 'applied', hot, so that
it gets right into the cellular core of the pole.

Telegraph poles also have multiple longitudinal saw cuts around their
perimeter to enable the preservative to penetrate further.

Didn't notice that when I cut up a discarded telegraph pole last year.
What I did notice however was that the visible discolouration got got
nowhere near the the centre of the pole.

I need another section so I will take a closer look when I return to the
remains.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I've never seen them amongst the hundreds of poles I've had dealings
with.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Thu, 6 May 2010 23:01:12 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes
http://www.postsaver.co.uk/

No idea on price - and no stockist near me.

OK until water gets in (which it will) and the post is permanently damp
and then rots away like a good 'un

The only satisfactory long-term protection process for timber is
complete fungal treatment.
Telegraph poles, for instance, are supposed to last at least 20 years
- quite a few have lasted much longer than this. Although numerous
treatment processes have been tried over the decades, the best (and
probably the cheapest) has always been proper creosote, not just
brushed on to the poles, but pressure/vacuum 'applied', hot, so that
it gets right into the cellular core of the pole.

Telegraph poles also have multiple longitudinal saw cuts

I don't think so!

--
The Wanderer

The older I get the better I used to be!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Thu, 6 May 2010 23:01:12 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
http://www.postsaver.co.uk/

No idea on price - and no stockist near me.

OK until water gets in (which it will) and the post is permanently
damp and then rots away like a good 'un

The only satisfactory long-term protection process for timber is
complete fungal treatment.
Telegraph poles, for instance, are supposed to last at least 20 years

As a BT cable jointer who has to climb these things regularly, I can say
that some in our area are over 40 years old and still as good as the day
they were installed.

- quite a few have lasted much longer than this. Although numerous
treatment processes have been tried over the decades, the best (and
probably the cheapest) has always been proper creosote, not just
brushed on to the poles, but pressure/vacuum 'applied', hot, so that
it gets right into the cellular core of the pole.

Telegraph poles also have multiple longitudinal saw cuts around their
perimeter to enable the preservative to penetrate further.

Having worked in conjunction with the PEU (Pole Erection Unit) guys on many
ocassions, I can categorically say that that is utter rubbish - they have no
saw cuts anywhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

eh? I've never seen any - and there's plenty of retired poles in use
around here....
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 May 2010 09:51:56 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Fri, 07 May 2010 09:41:25 +0100, Bruce wrote:

Telegraph poles also have multiple longitudinal saw cuts around their
perimeter to enable the preservative to penetrate further.

Can't say I've ever noticed that, at least not above ground. Spiral
marks from them being turned yes but not saw cuts along the length. I
have a feeling such cuts would weaken the pole anyway.

Poles are vacuum treated, ie placed in a container, the air is pumped
out which draws air and some moisture out of the timber. Then the
treatment fluid is introduced followed by return to atmospheric
pressure. The air then pushes the treatment much further into the
timber if not all the way to the core. Unlike normal dipping or
exterior application which really only gets to the top few mm. I
can't see a real reason for requiring cuts.

I'm sorry, I got my wires crossed. It was in a marine application,
not for telegraph poles. Too little sleep. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bruce" wrote in message

Telegraph poles also have multiple longitudinal saw cuts around their
perimeter to enable the preservative to penetrate further.

One other fundamental addition to the poles is the metal 'cap' which
prevents water penetrating the end grain.
many posts start splitting at top due to water getting into end grain ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 May 2010 14:12:17 +0100, Rick Hughes wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message

Telegraph poles also have multiple longitudinal saw cuts around their
perimeter to enable the preservative to penetrate further.

One other fundamental addition to the poles is the metal 'cap' which
prevents water penetrating the end grain.
many posts start splitting at top due to water getting into end grain ...

Went out decades ago.....

For them as may be interested, BBH are a major supplier of wood poles.

http://www.bbhpreservingwood.co.uk/

--
The Wanderer

Everyone brings happiness.
Some as they arrive, others as they leave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Wanderer wrote:

For them as may be interested, BBH are a major supplier of wood poles.

http://www.bbhpreservingwood.co.uk/

There's always plenty of creosote fumes coming off huge stacks of poles
on the outskirts of Boston

http://tinyurl.com/poles-streetview

http://www.caldersandgrandidge.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:

I've never seen them amongst the hundreds of poles I've had dealings
with.

What were they? Plumbers, plasterers?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Rick Hughes" writes:

One other fundamental addition to the poles is the metal 'cap' which
prevents water penetrating the end grain.

The ones around my parents, which are at least 55 years old and still
look fine, used to have rather ornate giant onion-shaped caps. About
20 years ago, BT came round and took all the caps off. My guess is that
one had fallen off somewhere and they decided the liability was too
high. I imagine they were a very heavy lump of cast iron.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Water Heater Flushing: Good idea or bad idea? VQ Home Repair 16 November 20th 17 04:14 AM
Good Idea - Bad Idea Carl Metalworking 0 December 16th 08 04:56 PM
Good Idea Hasipups Home Repair 0 August 13th 07 12:07 AM
Good/Bad Idea Steve B Metalworking 38 December 28th 05 08:52 AM
Well it seemed like a good idea... Razz Woodturning 18 January 29th 04 12:46 PM