Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Airing Cupboard

I'm nearing the end of my project to remodel an en-suite bathroom. Once
it's done I'm going to demolish the main bathroom, airing cupboard and
laundry (sensible place for a laundry IMO, the bathroom), and rebuild
with the stud walls in different places. This means we will be without
an airing cupboard for a while - with the the way I work, maybe a year.

In the en-suite there will be a floor to ceiling cupboard 450x450mm
which I've designed (eventually to hold towels and loo rolls etc). The
existing plastic pipes for the CH run behind it. I am thinking of
making a coil radiator in the bottom of this cupboard (I have a lot of
8mm copper left from another project) feeding the coil with a TRV at
the top of the cupboard, and return via a service valve. It'll only
get heat when the zone is called in the adjoining bedroom, but in the
winter that will be quite a bit.

Is there anything against me doing this? Anything I should consider?

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheOldFellow
wibbled on Sunday 20 December 2009 18:21

[...]

I can't see anything - sounds like a fine idea.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TheOldFellow writes:
[...]

I did underfloor heating in a bathroom by using 10mm copper.
It was fed via a TRV with head poking out of the bath panel.
I used two parallel 10mm runs snaked up and down between the
floor joists (thought resistance of one piece would limit the
flow too much). Copper has a low emissivity, so you want to
paint it to get more radiant heat - I just sprayed the top
with a thin coat of black airosol, but it doesn't make much
difference what colour providing it's not bare copper (or
chrome). It worked really well.

With 8mm, I'd definitely do parallel runs (a sort of double
screw thread. I used parallel end-feed manifolds to connect
http://www.bes.co.uk/product/149b~PF...End-Feed-.html
(scroll down to bottom) with 22x15mm fitting reducer
http://www.bes.co.uk/product/147~PF~...End-Feed-.html

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 22:14:13 +0000 (UTC)
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
TheOldFellow writes:
[...]

Thanks, good thoughts. I was considering spot soldering the coil to a
steel sheet bottom shelf, and spraying that matt black. The idea is
that it will be a fluff trap otherwise. Under it will be a 60mm celotex
slab to the floor. Twin coil definitely.

R.