Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 8FT Lintel

Hi.
I am thinking about enlarging a ground floor (single brick) wall
opening which is
currently 42" wide and is in the middle of the wall. One side of the
opening is adjacent to
the back wall of the house and this section is also some 42" wide.
The back wall of the house is double brick and the wall with the
opening in it
rises into the loft to form a pyramid that the big wood beam sits on
(can't remember the term).
So the question is..based on a few things I've read.
I will need a lintel of about 8 ft long but some builders don't
recommend concrete lintels over
6ft.
What do you recommend here?

Thanks.
Arthur
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur 51 wrote:

Hi.
I am thinking about enlarging a ground floor (single brick) wall
opening which is
currently 42" wide and is in the middle of the wall. One side of the
opening is adjacent to
the back wall of the house and this section is also some 42" wide.
The back wall of the house is double brick and the wall with the
opening in it
rises into the loft to form a pyramid that the big wood beam sits on
(can't remember the term).
So the question is..based on a few things I've read.
I will need a lintel of about 8 ft long but some builders don't
recommend concrete lintels over
6ft.
What do you recommend here?

Thanks.
Arthur

Use an RSJ - 7" high x 4" wide. If you do that, your BCO will probably
accept it without requiring any calculations. The ends will need to be
supported on padstones at least 150mm long, one of which will need to be
embedded in the outside wall.

[It's probably easiest to make a hole right through the outside wall, feed
the RSJ in through it, and brick it up when done.]
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Sep, 13:16, "Roger Mills" wrote:
Arthur 51 *wrote:

[...]

Yes. That sounds like the sensible route.
Thanks.

Arthur

Impenetrable lintel! Keith Dunbar UK diy 16 March 1st 08 05:01 PM
LINTEL SCAREY-B.HERE-ON-THE.NET UK diy 5 January 3rd 04 05:10 PM
lintel SCAREY-B.HERE-ON-THE.NET UK diy 8 December 29th 03 12:15 PM
lintel help please Niel A. Farrow UK diy 3 September 6th 03 09:45 PM