CFL with Dusk-to-Dawn sensor

Old January 20th 09, 10:09 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CFL with Dusk-to-Dawn sensor

I've just fitted an exterior light with dusk-to-dawn sensor which
specifies an E27 11W ES lamp.

Bought E27 11W ES and then discovered it says not to be used with dusk-
to-dawn sensors.

Put lamp in anyway, and it works.

Why wouldn't it work and am I shortening the life of the lamp by using
it with a d2d?
Old January 20th 09, 03:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"mike" wrote in message
I've just fitted an exterior light with dusk-to-dawn sensor which
specifies an E27 11W ES lamp.

Bought E27 11W ES and then discovered it says not to be used with dusk-
to-dawn sensors.

Put lamp in anyway, and it works.

Why wouldn't it work and am I shortening the life of the lamp by using
it with a d2d?

Some D2D sensors are just light dependent resistors and they effectively
lower the voltage on the lamp when its bright.
This is a no no with CFL.

Better D2D sensors are proper switches.

You can spot the cheap nasty ones at dusk/dawn as the lamp dims and flickers
even with tungsten bulbs.

Old January 20th 09, 04:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
I've just fitted an exterior light with dusk-to-dawn sensor which
specifies an E27 11W ES lamp.

Bought E27 11W ES and then discovered it says not to be used with dusk-
to-dawn sensors.

Put lamp in anyway, and it works.

Why wouldn't it work and am I shortening the life of the lamp by using
it with a d2d?

Some D2D sensors are designed to be fitted as if they were ordinary
light switches, and hence need to work without a neutral connection.
Most of these do that by drawing a very small current through the lamp.
You can't do that with a CFL lamp. The type you fitted does not have
this limitation.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old January 20th 09, 06:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
I've just fitted an exterior light with dusk-to-dawn sensor which
specifies an E27 11W ES lamp.

Bought E27 11W ES and then discovered it says not to be used with
dusk- to-dawn sensors.

Put lamp in anyway, and it works.

Why wouldn't it work and am I shortening the life of the lamp by using
it with a d2d?

I've got an exterior light outside with a 11w es lamp and a d2d sensor.
Been there 3 - 4 years, got it from Wickes.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Old January 23rd 09, 09:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
mike wrote:
I've just fitted an exterior light with dusk-to-dawn sensor which
specifies an E27 11W ES lamp.

Bought E27 11W ES and then discovered it says not to be used with
dusk- to-dawn sensors.

Put lamp in anyway, and it works.

Why wouldn't it work and am I shortening the life of the lamp by
using it with a d2d?

I've got an exterior light outside with a 11w es lamp and a d2d
sensor. Been there 3 - 4 years, got it from Wickes.

Snap. It's not been a problem. I think that's been up 5years plus replacing
a similar fitting that had worked satisfactorily for possibly eight years
with only one lamp being replaced. Fitting was replaced due to sunlight
crazing the plastic lens.

PIR v Dawn Dusk The Medway Handyman UK diy 15 January 7th 08 10:02 PM
Everspring dusk-to-dawn bulkhead light Ariadne UK diy 0 September 12th 07 10:22 PM
Dusk to Dawn Bulbs Ed UK diy 11 July 31st 07 01:19 PM
Dawn/Dusk Sensors The Medway Handyman UK diy 4 December 28th 06 05:54 PM
motion sensor light stuck on dusk-to-dawn mode E Gregory Home Repair 1 June 29th 05 12:07 AM