Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default CFL with Dusk-to-Dawn sensor

mike wrote:
I've just fitted an exterior light with dusk-to-dawn sensor which
specifies an E27 11W ES lamp.

Bought E27 11W ES and then discovered it says not to be used with dusk-
to-dawn sensors.

Put lamp in anyway, and it works.

Why wouldn't it work and am I shortening the life of the lamp by using
it with a d2d?

Some D2D sensors are designed to be fitted as if they were ordinary
light switches, and hence need to work without a neutral connection.
Most of these do that by drawing a very small current through the lamp.
You can't do that with a CFL lamp. The type you fitted does not have
this limitation.

--
Cheers,

John.