double glaze very narrow windows???

Old July 25th 08, 10:37 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default double glaze very narrow windows???

My toilet is a very small affair a door width wide in fact. The window is
narrow too and is an old metal crittal window which being extremely small
framed gives an 8" width of glass and not much less on the opening part.

I have just ordered double glazing for the house and the problem is with the
width of frame in these plastic units. This will leave me with a sort of
medieval arrow slit of glass maybe 4-5 " wide. I am thinking of either
leaving the old crittal window in place, wife thinks i am mad, or trying to
find a diy with frames similar in look to proper double glazing (ie white
pvc) which need be single glaze only. Any one know who could supply such
small framing??
Any ideas welcome.
TKS

Old July 25th 08, 10:43 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Jul, 09:37, "Capt T" wrote:
My toilet is a very small affair a door width wide in fact. The window is
narrow too and is an old metal crittal window which being extremely small
framed gives an 8" width of glass and not much less on the opening part.

I have just ordered double glazing for the house and the problem is with the
width of frame in these plastic units. This will leave me with a sort of
medieval arrow slit of glass maybe 4-5 " wide. I am thinking of either
leaving the old crittal window in place, wife thinks i am mad, or trying to
find a diy with frames similar in look to proper double glazing (ie white
pvc) which need be single glaze only. Any one know who could supply such
small framing??
Any ideas welcome.
TKS

You can get white powder-coated aluminium thermal-break windows, with
much thinner frames than PVCu. Quite expensive though. Or can you
modify the door ?
Simon.
Old July 25th 08, 10:51 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Capt T" wrote in message
My toilet is a very small affair a door width wide in fact. The window is
narrow too and is an old metal crittal window which being extremely small
framed gives an 8" width of glass and not much less on the opening part.

I have just ordered double glazing for the house and the problem is with
the width of frame in these plastic units. This will leave me with a sort
of medieval arrow slit of glass maybe 4-5 " wide. I am thinking of either
leaving the old crittal window in place, wife thinks i am mad, or trying
to find a diy with frames similar in look to proper double glazing (ie
white pvc) which need be single glaze only. Any one know who could supply
such small framing??
Any ideas welcome.
TKS

A local glass supplier will make a double glazed unit to fit into the
existing frame - thus losing no light. While the original glass is out you
can prepare and paint the frame white.

It won't look exactly like the (to me ugly) plastic frames but nobody is
going to compare.

Mary

Old July 25th 08, 11:18 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

A local glass supplier will make a double glazed unit to fit into the
existing frame -

I don't think so. Not for a Crittall frame

--
"S'ils te mordent, mords-les"
Old July 25th 08, 11:45 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ziggur" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

A local glass supplier will make a double glazed unit to fit into the
existing frame -

I don't think so. Not for a Crittall frame

You don't give a reason, just an opinion.

The op can ask for nothing.

Mary

--
"S'ils te mordent, mords-les"

Old July 25th 08, 12:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Capt T wrote:
My toilet is a very small affair a door width wide in fact. The window is
narrow too and is an old metal crittal window which being extremely small
framed gives an 8" width of glass and not much less on the opening part.

I have just ordered double glazing for the house and the problem is with the
width of frame in these plastic units. This will leave me with a sort of
medieval arrow slit of glass maybe 4-5 " wide. I am thinking of either
leaving the old crittal window in place, wife thinks i am mad, or trying to
find a diy with frames similar in look to proper double glazing (ie white
pvc) which need be single glaze only. Any one know who could supply such
small framing??
Any ideas welcome.
TKS

DG in a small Crittal frame is of dubious value. They are cold bridges
to the nth degree.

Either get a wooden frame made up, or single glaze it.