Baxi Eco 80 Fault

Old April 8th 08, 02:05 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Baxi Eco 80 Fault

My Eco 80 is once again giving me trouble (curse the previous owner who
had it fitted), it lights, waits 6 or 7 seconds then goes out again,
waits another 30 seconds or so and tries again, same thing, and so on to
infinity I assume. Following the fault finding guide in the manual I
checked the flame sensing electrodes, they seem fine, but I cleaned the
tarnish off just in case, checked the sensor current with a multimeter
and got 4-5uA and the manual says approximately 1uA should be present so
I assume this is ok. The manual then says change PCB, so at enormous
expense I have done that, no difference. I'm at a bit of loss as to
what to do next, my only thoughts are the modulating gas valve, does it
light on a low pressure, and then once its happy it has a flame close
that valve and open another to switch up to a high pressure? Any other
possibilities? I have checked the resistance of the temperature sensor
and it is approximately the 11k the manual dictates.
Old April 8th 08, 07:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Cod Roe
writes
[...]

Assuming that you are getting a spark and GV operating, i.e. that there
is a flame to sense ...

Reasons for flame sensing failure are

1) pcb - unlikely from what you have said above

2) break in the wire from the electrode to the pcb (are you really
getting 5uA ?) the only way I know of reliably testing the lead is to
give it a tug at both ends to see if the wire is attached to the
connector

3) Electrode not in the flame

4) bad earthing

5) Live and neutral transposed (unlikely unless you have recently done
some electrics)

--
geoff
Old April 9th 08, 12:12 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

Assuming that you are getting a spark and GV operating, i.e. that there
is a flame to sense ...

Yes, there is a flame to sense.

1) pcb - unlikely from what you have said above

I'm not paying for another one to test that further!

2) break in the wire from the electrode to the pcb (are you really
getting 5uA ?) the only way I know of reliably testing the lead is to
give it a tug at both ends to see if the wire is attached to the connector

I have checked the resistance from tip to spade with a multimeter and
all is fine.

3) Electrode not in the flame

The thing is rigidly fixed, though slightly off the flame, and the
boiler just failed in service without anyone having been near it for
months, so I doubt it had moved. Anyway, I measure a current once it
lights.

4) bad earthing

The earthing hasn't changed, but could you elaborate? Water and gas
primary bonded to the boards riser, and the ring main earth is fully
functional.

5) Live and neutral transposed (unlikely unless you have recently done
some electrics)

Had that some months back, when the plumber had kindly put both ends the
wrong way round, how anyone can do blue to brown and brown to blue
without feeling guilty I don't know.

I checked the gas valve with a manometer and it seems to be delivering
full pressure.

About to give up on this one, and maybe get a Worcester Bosch Greenstar
30Si to replace it, anyone got any comments or suggestions for a better
machine?
Old April 9th 08, 12:34 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Cod Roe
writes
geoff wrote:

Assuming that you are getting a spark and GV operating, i.e. that
there is a flame to sense ...

Yes, there is a flame to sense.

1) pcb - unlikely from what you have said above

I'm not paying for another one to test that further!

I can test Eco 80 pcbs

it's what I do

2) break in the wire from the electrode to the pcb (are you really
getting 5uA ?) the only way I know of reliably testing the lead is to
give it a tug at both ends to see if the wire is attached to the connector

I have checked the resistance from tip to spade with a multimeter and
all is fine.

You didn't read what I typed, did you ?

3) Electrode not in the flame

The thing is rigidly fixed, though slightly off the flame, and the
boiler just failed in service without anyone having been near it for
months, so I doubt it had moved. Anyway, I measure a current once it
lights.

Whatever, if the electrode is not in the flame, it won't flame sense

4) bad earthing

The earthing hasn't changed, but could you elaborate? Water and gas
primary bonded to the boards riser, and the ring main earth is fully
functional.

flame sensing is referenced to earth

if there is a problem with the earthing anywhere within the boiler, this
could cause problems with flame sensing (including to the pcb)

5) Live and neutral transposed (unlikely unless you have recently
done some electrics)

Had that some months back, when the plumber had kindly put both ends
the wrong way round, how anyone can do blue to brown and brown to blue
without feeling guilty I don't know.

So you have let a clueless dickhead near your boiler - best check out
the wiring again then, just to make sure

I checked the gas valve with a manometer and it seems to be delivering
full pressure.

and ?

like measuring the temp sensor - a red herring

About to give up on this one, and maybe get a Worcester Bosch Greenstar
30Si to replace it, anyone got any comments or suggestions for a better
machine?

I have listed the possible reasons for a lack of flame sensing, go and
work through them properly. Start at the beginning, don't make
assumptions and don't take anything for granted - it's easy to overlook
something that you think must be OK

If you want the pcb checked out, I can do it

www.cetltd.com

but I think your problem lies elsewhere

--
geoff
Old April 9th 08, 05:22 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

snip If you want the pcb checked out, I can do it

www.cetltd.com

but I think your problem lies elsewhere

Bookmarked (Don't let UKRM know you do this or you'll be inundated with work
from WC....LOL!)

Old April 9th 08, 07:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , RW
writes
snip If you want the pcb checked out, I can do it

www.cetltd.com

but I think your problem lies elsewhere

Bookmarked (Don't let UKRM know you do this or you'll be inundated with work
from WC....LOL!)

I gave up with WC last winter ...

--
geoff

BAXI System 35/60 Boiler fault. PCB? kmillar UK diy 3 January 4th 08 05:02 PM
Baxi Frank Erskine UK diy 5 June 7th 07 11:59 PM
immersion heater fault or economy heater fault bigbadbade UK diy 2 January 25th 07 07:50 PM
Baxi condensng boiler fault Michael A Scott UK diy 1 January 7th 07 12:36 AM
Baxi WM 38/3 RS Stephen Clark UK diy 12 January 6th 05 08:08 PM