Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dodgy floor between kitchen and extension

Hi

Looking for some advice please.

Our house has an extension which was built in 1989 (not by us).

I am in the process of laying a wooden floor in one continuous run
through the old and new space created by the said extension. The gap
between the old and new had been filled with some kind of levelling
compound which was both cracked and far from level so I decided to rip
it up and start again. What I found was a little concerning.

The cavity is full of rubble and sand and there is no membrane that I
can see. I've linked to some photos below and would appreciate advice
on how I should proceed.

http://www.cre.co.uk/misc/sl/IMG_0210.jpg
http://www.cre.co.uk/misc/sl/IMG_0211.jpg
http://www.cre.co.uk/misc/sl/IMG_0212.jpg

Thanks,

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stevelup wrote:

I am in the process of laying a wooden floor in one continuous run
through the old and new space created by the said extension. The gap
between the old and new had been filled with some kind of levelling
compound which was both cracked and far from level so I decided to rip
it up and start again. What I found was a little concerning.

The cavity is full of rubble and sand and there is no membrane that I
can see. I've linked to some photos below and would appreciate advice
on how I should proceed.

I've come across just the same thing in the past myself, and eventually
ended up leaving it as it was (as there hadn't been a damp problem
previously). I really don't know what the 'proper' answer is other than
carrying out some fairly major surgery on the bricks below floor level,
the floors either side of them, and the walls either side, in order to
get all the relevant DPC membranes overlapped and sealed.

Would love to know what the solution is!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 5, 8:04 am, Lobster wrote:
stevelup wrote:

[...]

I'll just pour concrete in the hole then... really don't know what
else to do.

Thanks for the reply.

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Oct, 17:40, stevelup wrote:
Hi

Looking for some advice please.

Our house has an extension which was built in 1989 (not by us).

I am in the process of laying a wooden floor in one continuous run
through the old and new space created by the said extension. The gap
between the old and new had been filled with some kind of levelling
compound which was both cracked and far from level so I decided to rip
it up and start again. What I found was a little concerning.

The cavity is full of rubble and sand and there is no membrane that I
can see. I've linked to some photos below and would appreciate advice
on how I should proceed.

http://www.cre.co.uk/misc/sl/IMG_021...l/IMG_0212.jpg

Thanks,

Steve

Dear Steve
Short of digging under and finding (or not!) the membrane and
connecting the two you have little choice but to make the best of it
I would try to get down as far as possible into the oversite and lay
some ballast, then I would put a dpc injection fluid onto the exposed
bricks and then apply water proof concrete made up with SIKA and Feb
SBR and hope for the best!
Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stevelup wrote:
On Oct 5, 8:04 am, Lobster wrote:
stevelup wrote:

[...]

line the hole with plastic sheet at least, first.

Thanks for the reply.

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 6, 1:27 pm, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
stevelup wrote:
On Oct 5, 8:04 am, Lobster wrote:
stevelup wrote:

[...]

Yes, I did do that in the end. I found the DPC for the house floor but
could not find one for the extension (it's possible it is lower than
the house one as the property is on a hill). I did the best I could do
under the circumstances. The current arrangement had been in place
since 1989 with no noticeable side effects so I'm reasonably confident
it will be ok.

Thanks,

Steve

Kitchen smell pt 2 - Dodgy lino patch? [email protected] UK diy 7 April 15th 07 02:25 PM
Kitchen Extension adsie UK diy 2 March 13th 07 08:14 PM
Kitchen Extension. Aoilyboy UK diy 2 November 2nd 06 05:31 PM
How do I fix cold floor in corners of kitchen extension Sean M Home Repair 8 February 17th 06 02:00 AM
Dodgy concrete floor Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) UK diy 11 September 21st 05 06:05 PM