Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Loft conversion - electrics

Hi,

About to have a loft conversion done, anyone have any
suggestions/advice about cabling for lighting/power/networking before
everythng starts? BAsically to future proof so as not to have to
pull up boards etc for additional stuff later.

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Frank" wrote in message
Hi,

About to have a loft conversion done, anyone have any
suggestions/advice about cabling for lighting/power/networking before
everythng starts? BAsically to future proof so as not to have to
pull up boards etc for additional stuff later.

TIA

I doubt you will find many that can mind read here. Who knows what you
might want to do in the future!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Frank" wrote in message
Hi,

About to have a loft conversion done, anyone have any
suggestions/advice about cabling for lighting/power/networking before
everythng starts? BAsically to future proof so as not to have to
pull up boards etc for additional stuff later.

TIA

As far as electric sockets are concerned look at existing rooms in your
house which have the same use as the conversion (bedrooms?) how many sockets
are in use in each room? I don't just mean the sockets in the wall but all
the sockets in multiplugs. Double that number (for an average room) and
install that (large) number of sockets. I might even go so far as to say
that it should be a separate ring main.

Other wiring is more difficult. I suspect many people will argue that
wireless connections are the way to go and, if you don't already have CAT5
wiring elsewhere in the house, I'd probably agree with them. But you could
also argue this is the perfect excuse to wire the house with CAT5 (I don't
think you'll need CAT6 for a house but then again if you really want future
proofing.....). I would probably install 3 outputs per room.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Frank" wrote

Hi,

About to have a loft conversion done, anyone have any
suggestions/advice about cabling for lighting/power/networking before
everythng starts?

Conversion to what?
Bedrooms, bedroom with en-suite, home-office, hobby room......

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 11:27:10 +0100, "TheScullster"
wrote:

"Frank" wrote

Hi,

About to have a loft conversion done, anyone have any
suggestions/advice about cabling for lighting/power/networking before
everythng starts?

Conversion to what?
Bedrooms, bedroom with en-suite, home-office, hobby room......

Phil

Bedroom, bedroom/study and shower/toilet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank wrote:

About to have a loft conversion done, anyone have any
suggestions/advice about cabling for lighting/power/networking before
everythng starts?

Conversion to what?
Bedrooms, bedroom with en-suite, home-office, hobby room......

Phil

Bedroom, bedroom/study and shower/toilet.

The way I did mine was:

Lighting - drill ceiling joists etc and lay in all wiring before plaster
boarding.

Power lay in any wires that needed to run under the floor first, then
floor it, then lay in the wall point wiring, and then plasterboard. I
fitted dry lining boxes anywhere I wanted sockets and looped the wire
through them at the time of fitting the plasterboard. Skimmed it next
and then fitted all the sockets etc.

I took a couple of cat5s to each room (except bathroom) for phone/data
as may be required. Terminated them at a modular wall unit in each room.

Where wires needed to pass along stud walls that were also to be
insulated, I used a large router to cut a notch in the insulation and
studs. This I fixed to a socket height standoff to guide it round the
room. That way the power wiring is in contact with the plasterboard on
one side which saves needing to de-rate its current carrying capacity so
much.

--
Cheers,

John.

loft conversion Thomarse UK diy 2 April 30th 07 02:13 PM
Loft Electrics JoeFaeGlesga UK diy 39 December 7th 06 01:07 PM
DIY Loft Conversion Ellis Greensitt UK diy 72 July 12th 05 08:35 AM
Loft conversion.. Alex Dady UK diy 5 September 10th 04 03:27 PM
Board Loft or Loft Conversion Justin Hughes UK diy 8 August 18th 04 01:42 PM