Briggs & Stratton 3.5hp Engine Will Not Start with Air Filter Bolt Installed

Old June 10th 07, 10:13 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Briggs & Stratton 3.5hp Engine Will Not Start with Air Filter Bolt Installed

My 1968 B&S 3.5 HP lawnmower engine (92902, pulsajet carb with two fuel
pickup tubes) will not start unless I remove the air filter; nor will it
start with just the air cleaner bolt installed without the air filter.
I have serviced the carb and replaced the gasket. I have checked and am
certain that the bolt is not interfering with the movement of the manual
choke.

Anyone experienced this problem?

Davy

Old June 10th 07, 11:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Davy wrote:
My 1968 B&S 3.5 HP lawnmower engine (92902, pulsajet carb with two fuel
pickup tubes) will not start unless I remove the air filter; nor will it
start with just the air cleaner bolt installed without the air filter.
I have serviced the carb and replaced the gasket. I have checked and am
certain that the bolt is not interfering with the movement of the manual
choke.

Anyone experienced this problem?

Davy

Never anything remotely like it.

Its not shorting a wire or summat is it?
Old June 11th 07, 07:23 AM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Davy" wrote in message
My 1968 B&S 3.5 HP lawnmower engine (92902, pulsajet carb with two fuel
pickup tubes) will not start unless I remove the air filter; nor will it
start with just the air cleaner bolt installed without the air filter.
I have serviced the carb and replaced the gasket. I have checked and am
certain that the bolt is not interfering with the movement of the manual
choke.

Anyone experienced this problem?

Gotta be a blocked jet somwhere or a gasket covering a hole.

Old June 11th 07, 01:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

"R" wrote in message

"Davy" wrote in message
My 1968 B&S 3.5 HP lawnmower engine (92902, pulsajet carb with two fuel
pickup tubes) will not start unless I remove the air filter; nor will it
start with just the air cleaner bolt installed without the air filter.
I have serviced the carb and replaced the gasket. I have checked and am
certain that the bolt is not interfering with the movement of the manual
choke.

Anyone experienced this problem?

Gotta be a blocked jet somwhere or a gasket covering a hole.

I second that opinion. I suggest that you dismantle that carburetter again,
and clean it thoroughly in clean petrol (having thoroughly cleaned the
outside first with Gunk, paraffin, or petrol). Preferrably, blow through all
the jets with compressed air. As as been suggested; some gaskets can be
fitted the wrong way round, thus covering a fuel or air jet.
BTW, I have no experience of that particular carburetter.

Sylvain.

Old June 11th 07, 04:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

That's an oldie but a goodie. My first sense is that you have the
mixture screws out too far, and it's running rich. Turn in
(clockwise) till very lightly seated, and back them out 1 1/2
complete revolutions.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

:

Old June 11th 07, 05:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Davy" wrote in message
My 1968 B&S 3.5 HP lawnmower engine (92902, pulsajet carb with two fuel
pickup tubes) will not start unless I remove the air filter; nor will it
start with just the air cleaner bolt installed without the air filter.
I have serviced the carb and replaced the gasket. I have checked and am
certain that the bolt is not interfering with the movement of the manual
choke.

Anyone experienced this problem?

Davy

Pure guesswork here. A very rich mixture needing lots of air to start.
Removal of filter allows more air. Does the bolt also allow even more air
when removed?
Presumably when you can start it it subsequently stalls when it gets hot?
Phil

Old June 11th 07, 05:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Christopher,

you might have a point about being too rich. Looking again at the carb, the
filter retaining bolt goes through the centre of the choke butterfly. When
the bolt is removed then it leaves a hole in the middle of the choke and the
engine is less choked.
I was on the wrong lines, as in "what does the bolt interfere with"; rather
I should have been thinking "what is different with the bolt removed"
thanks

Davy

.

Old June 11th 07, 05:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Phil,

I will try to start it with the filter and bolt in place and not full choke.
thanks for the ideas.
Davy

Old June 21st 07, 10:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Following on from the theories mentioned in this thread, I tried to start it
with the air filter attachment bolt in place but with less choke - no
success.
Incidentally I now find that I can start the engine with the air filter box
attached provided I remove the attachment bolt - then starts first pull.
Davy

Old June 21st 07, 05:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Davy" wrote in message
Following on from the theories mentioned in this thread, I tried to start
it
with the air filter attachment bolt in place but with less choke - no
success.
Incidentally I now find that I can start the engine with the air filter
box
attached provided I remove the attachment bolt - then starts first pull.

That's what is known as a BODGE.
You should take the advice given to you by two of us (a blocked jet, or a
wrongly fitted gasket blocking a fuel/air jet).
But then, it's _your_ lawnmower engine; so who cares.

Sylvain.

Davy