Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mains adapter for 12V fans - back to school!

I want to set up a rack of 3 small fans (as a gadget to put under a radiator
on a cold day). I've got 3 Sharkoon 1000 PC fans, 12v 1.44 Watt each. I want
to power the rack from a normal plug-in mains adapter. I've got a 12V DC /
800mA adapter available but I'm not quite sure if this will be OK.

So delving way way back to my schooldays I think I dimly remember that:

W = VA so as W=1.44 and V=12, current will be 0.12 or 120mA for each fan.
V = iR so if V = 12 and i = 0.12 then R is 200, so resistance of each fan is
200 Ohm.

So I'm thinking I'd be OK to wire up the 3 fans in parallel, current 3 x 120
= 360mA, resistance 66 Ohm?

Also, I don't know if the 12/800mA adapter I've got is regulated, or if this
matters. It has a symbol on it like a segmented orange (a bit like
'Panaorama' logo) and also a square within a square if that helps.

Thanks,
Skeggy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sorry to repeat myself, and I wasn't even using Deja News.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 13:59:54 -0000, "Skeggy" wrote:

[...]

All i recognise the square within a square whichI think means double insulated .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/
[...]

Skeggy,
As your proposed load is nearly half the maximum capacity of the unit, it
should not matter too much whether the PSU is regulated or not. The load
will cause an unregulated supply to approach its nominal working voltage.
Yes your recollection of Ohms law is correct.
Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 13:59:54 -0000, Skeggy wrote:

I've got 3 Sharkoon 1000 PC fans, 12v 1.44 Watt each. I want to power
the rack from a normal plug-in mains adapter. I've got a 12V DC /
800mA adapter available but I'm not quite sure if this will be OK.

12v @ 0.8A = 9.6W

3 fans at 1.44W each = 4.32W

Your adapter is only running at about half its capacity. No problem.

Also, I don't know if the 12/800mA adapter I've got is regulated, or if
this matters. It has a symbol on it like a segmented orange (a bit like
'Panaorama' logo) and also a square within a square if that helps.

Regulation probably doesn't matter much in this instance, if the volts
are low the fans won't go as quick.

Square within a square is "double insulated" or Class II equipment. There
might be a symbol after the 12v 800mA section of the ratings just a line
and broken line below it but all I can find out about that is that in
means "DC". Not regulated/smoothed/full or half wave bridge etc

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail