Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Compression joints and spinach.

Hi all,

OK...compression joints...

Hand tight and then 3/4 turn using a spanner.

When I do hand tight and then attempt a 3/4 turn...I give up.

Do I need to each more spinach?

Freddie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Freddie wrote:
Hi all,

OK...compression joints...

Hand tight and then 3/4 turn using a spanner.

When I do hand tight and then attempt a 3/4 turn...I give up.

Do I need to each more spinach?

Freddie

Do it up until it creaks and judders slightly.
Obviously hand-tight is relative. It may be that you need *less*
spinach !
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
Freddie wrote:
Hi all,

OK...compression joints...

Hand tight and then 3/4 turn using a spanner.

When I do hand tight and then attempt a 3/4 turn...I give up.

Do I need to each more spinach?

Freddie

Do it up until it creaks and judders slightly.
Obviously hand-tight is relative. It may be that you need *less*
spinach !
Simon.

I always find I "overcook" tightening things! and then I feel I'm
holding off, then ask myself is it tight enough!!! so I use solder
joints or pushfits !!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Freddie wrote:
Hi all,

OK...compression joints...

Hand tight and then 3/4 turn using a spanner.

When I do hand tight and then attempt a 3/4 turn...I give up.

Do I need to each more spinach?

Freddie

3/4 of a turn sounds a lot. It just needs to be 'nipped-up'. Given my
average spinach consumption, that translates to about 1/4 to 1/2 a
turn for me, but no more. I also usually wrap a turn or two of PTFE
tape over the top of the olive before sliding it down the pipe into the
fitting. I find it helps make a consistently reliable joint.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Oct 2006 04:48:00 -0700, "MikeH" wrote:

Freddie wrote:
Hi all,

OK...compression joints...

Hand tight and then 3/4 turn using a spanner.

When I do hand tight and then attempt a 3/4 turn...I give up.

Do I need to each more spinach?

Freddie

3/4 of a turn sounds a lot. It just needs to be 'nipped-up'. Given my
average spinach consumption, that translates to about 1/4 to 1/2 a
turn for me, but no more. I also usually wrap a turn or two of PTFE
tape over the top of the olive before sliding it down the pipe into the
fitting. I find it helps make a consistently reliable joint.

Mike

Cheers for the info Mike.

Do you put the PTFE tape on the olive or on the pipe before the olive?

So, from the pipe end, you would have PTFE, olive and then the nut or
pipe, olive wrapped in PTFE and then nut?

Cheers

Freddie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Freddie wrote:
Hi all,

OK...compression joints...

Hand tight and then 3/4 turn using a spanner.

When I do hand tight and then attempt a 3/4 turn...I give up.

Do I need to each more spinach?

Freddie

The most important thing to remember is that you can always tighten it
more if its not tight enough and it leaks - but if you do it too tight
and damage the olive you're buggered!

I think its one of those things that no one can tell you how to do - you
just need to do a few and you'll eventually be able to 'feel' when its
tight enough.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 11:43:21 +0100, Freddie wrote:

|Hi all,
|
|OK...compression joints...
|
|Hand tight and then 3/4 turn using a spanner.
|
|When I do hand tight and then attempt a 3/4 turn...I give up.
|
|Do I need to each more spinach?

Use a longer spanner. More leverage :-)

Put a bit of tube on the end of the spanner to lengthen it
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Freddie wrote:
Hi all,

OK...compression joints...

Hand tight and then 3/4 turn using a spanner.

When I do hand tight and then attempt a 3/4 turn...I give up.

Do I need to each more spinach?

Freddie

Depends on what PIPE you are using. With copper its 3/4 turn. With a
chromed steel pipe is a LOT less.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Freddie wrote:
Cheers for the info Mike.

Do you put the PTFE tape on the olive or on the pipe before the olive?

So, from the pipe end, you would have PTFE, olive and then the nut or
pipe, olive wrapped in PTFE and then nut?

Cheers

Freddie

Freddie,

Technically you shouldn't need to use PTFE on a compression joint at
all. The idea is that the nut compresses the chamfered edge of the
olive into the gap between the chamfer on the fitting and the pipe.
With the right level of tightness the olive is squeezed into the copper
pipe and forms a watertight seal. I guess if you're a professional
using the things all day you quickly get a feel for just how tight it
needs to be. The secret is to ensure that you don't overtighten -
otherwise you'll deform the pipe and/or the olive to the extent that it
will never seal. Without PTFE I found that I would occasionally get a
leaky joint, but that never happens when I use a bit of PTFE. An
amateurs bodge really, but it works for me - consistently.

To answer your question, no, the tape just goes over the olive so that
it covers both edges of the olive. A couple of turns is enough. Once
the tape's in place, slide the olive up to the fitting, slide the
back-nut into place and tighten as normal. You can't put tape round
the pipe *under* the olive - there just isn't room.

You can also use a sealing compund instead of PTFE tape. I've used the
silicone-based Fernox one (it's called ZX or something like that -
comes in a yellow cardboard box), but I find PTFE just as good and a
bit less messy.

I may have misled you with my assertion that a 1/4 to 1/2 turn with a
spanner once it's finger-tight will be enough. It may need a little
more than that. The point I was making is that it is important to
ensure that you don't overtighten. You can always give it another 1/8
of a turn if it weeps, but if you overtighten in the first place (and
it leaks) you're knackered.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi all,

OK...compression joints...

Hand tight and then 3/4 turn using a spanner.

When I do hand tight and then attempt a 3/4 turn...I give up.

Do I need to each more spinach?

Freddie

Hi,

See also: