Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Porous Porcelain?

Whilst dealing with a leaky bath I noticed that the floorboards around
the base of the WC pan are damp and soft - presumably rotting. This
particular bathroom is rarely used, but not unheated so doesn't suffer,
AFAIK, from condensation.

Question: can sanitary ware become porous? The WC pan may be original
which would make it 56 years old.

Bath and WC are too far apart from bath leak to have reached the WC.

TIA

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote:
[snip]
Question: can sanitary ware become porous? The WC pan may be original
which would make it 56 years old.

[snip]

I'm no expert, but it doesn't sound likely. The problem is much more
likely to be a crack or a small leak in the coupling between the
cistern/down-pipe that's allowing water to run down the outside of the
pan at the back to the floor when the toilet is flushed.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote:
Whilst dealing with a leaky bath I noticed that the floorboards around
the base of the WC pan are damp and soft - presumably rotting. This
particular bathroom is rarely used, but not unheated so doesn't suffer,
AFAIK, from condensation.

Question: can sanitary ware become porous? The WC pan may be original
which would make it 56 years old.

Bath and WC are too far apart from bath leak to have reached the WC.

Unlikley BUT I had a similar situation...turned out to be a slow leak
from the bog-cistern coupler.

TIA

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
Whilst dealing with a leaky bath I noticed that the floorboards around
the base of the WC pan are damp and soft - presumably rotting. This
particular bathroom is rarely used, but not unheated so doesn't suffer,
AFAIK, from condensation.

Question: can sanitary ware become porous? The WC pan may be original
which would make it 56 years old.

Bath and WC are too far apart from bath leak to have reached the WC.

TIA

Richard

==============================
It's quite likely that there was no CH in your house for the first 30 years of
its life - so plenty of time for condensation and consequent damage to the
floor.

Cic.

It has removed 1002 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message
Whilst dealing with a leaky bath I noticed that the floorboards around
the base of the WC pan are damp and soft - presumably rotting. This
particular bathroom is rarely used, but not unheated so doesn't suffer,
AFAIK, from condensation.

Question: can sanitary ware become porous? The WC pan may be original
which would make it 56 years old.

Bath and WC are too far apart from bath leak to have reached the WC.

TIA

Richard

==============================
It's quite likely that there was no CH in your house for the first 30 years of
its life - so plenty of time for condensation and consequent damage to the
floor.

Not so. In time the loo will warm up to the ambient.

You only gate bad condensation on a loo in a warm steamy room just after
its flushed, when cold water comes in to fill the cistern.

Cic.

It has removed 1002 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:

==============================
It's quite likely that there was no CH in your house for the first 30 years of
its life

True

- so plenty of time for condensation and consequent damage to the
floor.

But I exposed the (dry) floorboards in that bathroom in 2000 when I
removed the lino and black/white vinyl floor tiles. All was dry then

Cic.

TA

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MikeH wrote:

I'm no expert, but it doesn't sound likely. The problem is much more
likely to be a crack or a small leak in the coupling between the
cistern/down-pipe that's allowing water to run down the outside of the
pan at the back to the floor when the toilet is flushed.

Mike

That's what I expected.

I have carried out a few trial flushes with a hand around all the joints
without finding any leaks.

There _is_ line of bubbly paint on the underside of the cast iron pipe
to the soil stack, but there is no corresponding damp where the pipe
goes through the wall.

Ta

Richard