Posted to uk.d-i-y
Wingedcat

Default Power Shower Dilemma

Hi all,
My girlfriend's house has a power shower installed. On Friday night it
made a load bang and then constantly leaked. Then the pump started up
on its own accord. I disconnected it at the consumer unit, and
investigated.

It's a Triton, 4 years old, it's leaking from the pump. Write-off I
reckon. More importantly, the plumber who installed it 4 years ago
connected the cold supply to the MAINS. Illegal obviously - and may
explain why it eventually let go - it is designed apparently for use
with a max head of 10m and goodness knows what pressure the mains is
under.

Anyway, she's now got a problem as to what the replace it with. No way
am I putting a similar power shower in with the current set up.
Plumbing in a new cold feed from the smallish 20 gallon cold water
header tank would be a major hassle, flooboards up, bath out, would the
tank be big enough? Etc.

Electric shower while possible is another big hassle as although we
have cold mains available I would have to run a new 45 amp (?) supply
from one end of the house to the other. I don't fancy that much.

I had a brainwave. Install a single impellor booster pump on the hot
side only, and install a thermostatic mixer valve (cheapy from
Screwfix), run the cold from the mains and she'll then end up with the
equivalent of a fully-fledged power shower!

My question is, can anyone foresee any problems with this idea?
Specifically, bearing in mind the old Triton power shower has run off
the hot tank for years with no problems, will that mean I won't have to
add a Surrey/Essex whatever flange to the tank, as it looks like
cavitation (sucking air) won't be a problem?

I plan to install the pump at the foot of the bath using the
electricity supply from the existing power shower. Any caveats?

Thanks in advance for all your help,
Luke

Posted to uk.d-i-y
peterd

Wingedcat wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a perfect situation for a venturi shower. They work best
on mains pressure cold water and a gravity fed hot water tank. The
pressure from the mains effectively pulls the hot water from tanks
giving, allegedly power shower performance. Could be as cheap and
simpler than pump + valve. Google for venturi showers for more
information.

HTH

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Wingedcat

Sounds like a perfect situation for a venturi shower. They work best
on mains pressure cold water and a gravity fed hot water tank. The
pressure from the mains effectively pulls the hot water from tanks
giving, allegedly power shower performance. Could be as cheap and
simpler than pump + valve. Google for venturi showers for more
information.

HTH

Peter

Thanks Peter - I forgot to mention, I had considered this option but
although I haven't measured it, her mains flow rate and pressure is
pretty poor and I read there is a fairly tight "window" of
compatability with Venturis in this respect. I will investigate further
though.
Luke

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Wingedcat wrote:

I had a brainwave. Install a single impellor booster pump on the hot
side only, and install a thermostatic mixer valve (cheapy from
Screwfix), run the cold from the mains and she'll then end up with the
equivalent of a fully-fledged power shower!

My question is, can anyone foresee any problems with this idea?

It ought to work, but you may find you want a pressure reducing valve on
the mains side as well though to get the two feeds at least close to
each other in pressure.

--
Cheers,

John.

Replacing a power shower Andy Hardy UK diy 2 September 13th 05 01:02 AM
Power Shower mdrandall UK diy 1 April 24th 04 07:34 PM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM
Running power shower pump off normal HW cistern? Rob Nicholson UK diy 21 December 28th 03 06:39 PM
Power Shower Spec Matt Scantlebury UK diy 1 October 23rd 03 10:05 PM