Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Walker

Default New wiring regs???

Hi. A friend of mine who lives in a 30's semi which has been rewired at
some unknown time in the past ie plastic covered cable, 13A ring main etc
is having a loft extension done. The electrical contractor won't connect
the new wiring in to the existing until he has re-wired the entire
house. When asked why, he just says "it's the new wiring regs".

Same electrician, when asked to move the consumer unit to a place under
the stairs says he can't do it because "the new wiring regs" specify a
minimum height from the floor.

Is there an element of truth in either of these assertions or is the
electrician drumming up business for himself?

TIA
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen Dawson

Sounds like he is trying to generate extra work, but we don't now the
quality of the installtion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
Incidentall, if the loft conversion is covered with a Building Regs
application, then the wiring can be put on that application and can then
be done by a DIYer in compliance with Part P, without any additional
inspection etc (other than that which is provided by the council
inclusive to the standard fee).

I think this depends on the Council. My local council, Medway will
charge you an additional £175 for any electrical installation approval
on top of their existing building control fees.

http://www.medway.gov.uk/index/envir...feessched3.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Lobster wrote:

So does my council (although I've yet to put in a Part P building notice
myself); notwithstanding a directive from ODPM.

If this does not exist anymore (ODPM), where does it put the crapy rules
that it poured out :-)

Dave

Just asking ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim_in_sussex

Lobster wrote:
wrote:
Owain wrote:

Incidentall, if the loft conversion is covered with a Building Regs
application, then the wiring can be put on that application and can then
be done by a DIYer in compliance with Part P, without any additional
inspection etc (other than that which is provided by the council
inclusive to the standard fee).

I think this depends on the Council. My local council, Medway will
charge you an additional £175 for any electrical installation approval
on top of their existing building control fees.

http://www.medway.gov.uk/index/envir...feessched3.htm

So does my council (although I've yet to put in a Part P building notice
myself); notwithstanding a directive from ODPM that they aren't allowed
to do so (a link has been posted here before but I can't find it);
therefore any additional fees *should* be challengeable.

This is at the moment a grey area on which more info is sought & more
investigatioon is needed. Part P ed 2 (April 2006) makes it clear that
councils cannot seek additional fees *after* the initial building regs
notice or plans are lodged/accepted. But what is the position if the
council, as Medway, wants the £175 up front? Nor is it clear whether
councils can charge differing amounts for different sections of the B
Regs.

Since ?1999 when fee setting was 'devolved' to councils there hasn't
been an official scale published by govt. How these fees are set seems
to be a murky job done behind closed doors of local govt associations,
just like any good cartel. Anyone out there able to lift the curtain?