Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg

Default New Part L1b and cavity wall thicknesses

Does anyone know any details on the implications of the new Part L
b/regs and cavity walls and for that matter floors and roofs?

I have spoken to a number of BCOs from different authorities and none
seem clear. One mentioned that walls should now have 100mm cavities,
another said that there are other elemets that need more insulation
too. One guy admitted that they were not clear and they were waiting
for guidance documents to be sent to them.

100mm cavities seem way OTT

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

"dg" wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone know any details on the implications of the new Part L
b/regs and cavity walls and for that matter floors and roofs?

I have spoken to a number of BCOs from different authorities and none
seem clear. One mentioned that walls should now have 100mm cavities,
another said that there are other elemets that need more insulation
too. One guy admitted that they were not clear and they were waiting
for guidance documents to be sent to them.

100mm cavities seem way OTT

Why?
Cavities don't cost much and insulate well when filled with insulation.
Mine are 90+mm on a house built 30 years ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

On 14 Apr 2006 15:45:06 -0700 Dg wrote :
I have spoken to a number of BCOs from different authorities and none
seem clear. One mentioned that walls should now have 100mm cavities,
another said that there are other elemets that need more insulation
too. One guy admitted that they were not clear and they were waiting
for guidance documents to be sent to them.

There are remarkably few prescriptive rules in the new AD. For new
houses the average area weighted U-value of walls has to be no more
than 0.35 (the same as in 2002) with no wall worse than 0.7.

The more general check is that the CO2 emissions from your new dwelling
has (in simple terms) to be at least 20% less than those from a
similarly sized building built to 2002 standards, but how you deliver
that 20% is largely up to you: if you want to stick with the same
U-values and do it all with a condensing boiler, solar and/or PV panels
then you can.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Donwill

"dg" wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone know any details on the implications of the new Part L
b/regs and cavity walls and for that matter floors and roofs?

I have spoken to a number of BCOs from different authorities and none
seem clear. One mentioned that walls should now have 100mm cavities,
another said that there are other elemets that need more insulation
too. One guy admitted that they were not clear and they were waiting
for guidance documents to be sent to them.

100mm cavities seem way OTT

dg

They became applicable on the 6th of April I believe.
Donwill

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Hugo Nebula

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 07:30:28 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named
"Donwill" popple @diddle .dot randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

"dg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know any details on the implications of the new Part L
b/regs and cavity walls and for that matter floors and roofs?

I have spoken to a number of BCOs from different authorities and none
seem clear.

They became applicable on the 6th of April I believe.

But not available.

The whole implementation of the changes to Parts L, F and P (which
have been overlooked in the mess over L) is a shambles. The draft
documents referenced other documents which weren't published, so the
implications of the changes couldn't be worked out; the changes to the
regulations and the transitional arrangements weren't published until
the very last day (literally). Without knowing the transitional
arrangements, applicants and building control bodies didn't know if
developments were to be checked under the old or new Part L, and if
under the new, whether their proposals would comply. The Approved
Documents apparently had so many mistakes in them they've had to be
pulped and republished, and as of last Thursday, aren't yet available
except online.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Donwill

[...]

Appalling!!!! yet it doesn't surprise me this day and age. We are
rapidly becoming a third world country.
Donwill