What to do with coal slack?

Old December 10th 05, 06:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What to do with coal slack?

I have a large quantity of residual coal slack in the bottom of the coal
bunker.
Placed directly on the domestic fire it tends to put it out.
I believe that there is some simple way to bind the slack and burn it like
coal.
But does anyone know how?
I have a vague memory of something to do with small plastic bags.
But I could be wrong!!
Any suggestions appreciated.
Dee

Old December 10th 05, 07:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dee" wrote in message
I have a large quantity of residual coal slack in the bottom of the coal
bunker.
Placed directly on the domestic fire it tends to put it out.
I believe that there is some simple way to bind the slack and burn it like
coal.
But does anyone know how?
I have a vague memory of something to do with small plastic bags.
But I could be wrong!!
Any suggestions appreciated.
Dee

Mix with a small amount of PVA and water just enough to bind the slack
together, make into round balls about the size of a peach. When dry and
set put them on well lit fire .

Old December 10th 05, 08:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 18:43:49 -0000, Dee wrote:

I have a large quantity of residual coal slack in the bottom of the
coal bunker. Placed directly on the domestic fire it tends to put it
out.

You use it to keep the fire in over night. Lots of slack last thing at
night, shut down the air supply and close the damper. Get up in the
morning open the air supply and damper away she goes...

At least that is my childhood memory from 30+ years ago when we had an
open fire with back boiler.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old December 10th 05, 11:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Dee wrote:
I have a large quantity of residual coal slack in the bottom of the coal
bunker.
Placed directly on the domestic fire it tends to put it out.
I believe that there is some simple way to bind the slack and burn it like
coal.
But does anyone know how?
I have a vague memory of something to do with small plastic bags.
But I could be wrong!!

If there's enough slack, mix it with ordinary cement at about
12:1 (the mixture should be *just* damp), and shovel it into
bags and flatten it, or leave it to set in a layer on a sheet
of stuff. Bash it gently after a week or two, and burn it.
If you've only a pail or three, use it for banking up, or
feed it piecemeal onto a good fire.
Old December 10th 05, 11:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Bacon wrote:

Dee wrote:

I have a large quantity of residual coal slack in the bottom of the
coal bunker.
Placed directly on the domestic fire it tends to put it out.
I believe that there is some simple way to bind the slack and burn it
like coal.
But does anyone know how?
I have a vague memory of something to do with small plastic bags.
But I could be wrong!!

If there's enough slack, mix it with ordinary cement at about
12:1 (the mixture should be *just* damp), and shovel it into
bags and flatten it, or leave it to set in a layer on a sheet
of stuff. Bash it gently after a week or two, and burn it.
If you've only a pail or three, use it for banking up, or
feed it piecemeal onto a good fire.

That takes me back in years :-(

My father used to do that. The slack, like the OP says, can dampen a
fire, but that is good if you wanted the fire to stay lit overnight. You
came down from the bedroom and there was a fire just waiting to be woken
up :-)

Dave
Old December 11th 05, 09:01 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Dee wrote:
I have a large quantity of residual coal slack in the bottom of

the coal
bunker.
Placed directly on the domestic fire it tends to put it out.
I believe that there is some simple way to bind the slack and burn

it like
coal.
But does anyone know how?
I have a vague memory of something to do with small plastic bags.
But I could be wrong!!

If there's enough slack, mix it with ordinary cement at about
12:1 (the mixture should be *just* damp), and shovel it into
bags and flatten it, or leave it to set in a layer on a sheet
of stuff. Bash it gently after a week or two, and burn it.
If you've only a pail or three, use it for banking up, or
feed it piecemeal onto a good fire.

Back in my childhood we used to put the coal slack in stout paper bags
and put one on the fire last thing at night. It would keep the fire in
till morning when the larger stuff took over. If the fire had burnt
down fairly low before you put it on the contents of the bag would
coalesce into a lump and burn slowly.

AWEM

Old December 11th 05, 12:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 18:43:49 -0000, Dee wrote:

I have a large quantity of residual coal slack in the bottom of the
coal bunker. Placed directly on the domestic fire it tends to put it
out.

You use it to keep the fire in over night. Lots of slack last thing at
night, shut down the air supply and close the damper. Get up in the
morning open the air supply and damper away she goes...

At least that is my childhood memory from 30+ years ago when we had an
open fire with back boiler.

I vaguely remember something of that sort in the depths of winter.
Something about adding ash to it too?

Works wonders on the atmosphere apparently. We don't get sulphides like
that anymore. Nowadays you have to use some sort of unguent crap on
your roses to cure blackspot.

If you can get hold of sawdust, a fifty fity mix will burn a treat.

Old December 12th 05, 11:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Dee wrote:
I have a large quantity of residual coal slack in the bottom of the coal
bunker.
Placed directly on the domestic fire it tends to put it out.
I believe that there is some simple way to bind the slack and burn it
like coal.
But does anyone know how?
I have a vague memory of something to do with small plastic bags.
But I could be wrong!!

If there's enough slack, mix it with ordinary cement at about
12:1 (the mixture should be *just* damp), and shovel it into
bags and flatten it, or leave it to set in a layer on a sheet
of stuff. Bash it gently after a week or two, and burn it.
If you've only a pail or three, use it for banking up, or
feed it piecemeal onto a good fire.

feed it piecemeal into a fire without the whole malarky you described.

Old December 13th 05, 09:24 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Take the finest of it to fill a drinking straw, and blow it over a lit
candle (while wearing a blast suit).