Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson

Default What to do with coal slack?

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Dee wrote:
I have a large quantity of residual coal slack in the bottom of

the coal
bunker.
Placed directly on the domestic fire it tends to put it out.
I believe that there is some simple way to bind the slack and burn

it like
coal.
But does anyone know how?
I have a vague memory of something to do with small plastic bags.
But I could be wrong!!

If there's enough slack, mix it with ordinary cement at about
12:1 (the mixture should be *just* damp), and shovel it into
bags and flatten it, or leave it to set in a layer on a sheet
of stuff. Bash it gently after a week or two, and burn it.
If you've only a pail or three, use it for banking up, or
feed it piecemeal onto a good fire.

Back in my childhood we used to put the coal slack in stout paper bags
and put one on the fire last thing at night. It would keep the fire in
till morning when the larger stuff took over. If the fire had burnt
down fairly low before you put it on the contents of the bag would
coalesce into a lump and burn slowly.

AWEM