Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How much weight could my garage roof joists carry?

I have a detached double garage, which was built about 6 years ago by
McAlpine.

I want to rig up a 'chain block' to do some lifting.. I am only
planning to lift a max of 200kgs and wonder if my joists will take this
kind of load.

The plan I had was to put a bar along a number of joists (Probably 4),
to spread the load a little.

Would this be safe?

Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

jon.p.weaver wrote:
I have a detached double garage, which was built about 6 years ago by
McAlpine.

I want to rig up a 'chain block' to do some lifting.. I am only
planning to lift a max of 200kgs and wonder if my joists will take this
kind of load.

The plan I had was to put a bar along a number of joists (Probably 4),
to spread the load a little.

Wkat's the span? What's the construction? What are the timber sizes?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Chare

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a detached double garage, which was built about 6 years ago by
McAlpine.

I want to rig up a 'chain block' to do some lifting.. I am only
planning to lift a max of 200kgs and wonder if my joists will take this
kind of load.

The plan I had was to put a bar along a number of joists (Probably 4),
to spread the load a little.

Would this be safe?

If it is a car engine I would suggest having vertical pillars either side of the
car and spreading the load over 3-4 joists - assuming that these run across the
garage. Another option is if you have a wood lintel at the front of the garage.
(I have done both in my time - 4 cylinder petrol engine with gearbox.)

--

Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick Hughes

Hi Jon ...
... if you tell me the size of the joists and the span I can give you
a good idea ...
However builders use the BS joist span tables for their sizing ... choosing
the smallest joist they can get away with for the span .. result you cannot
put much applied load on it

If you could arrange to spread the load over say ... 4 joists and also
arrange that the load comes off at the 1/3rd points, that will give you best
spread.
i.e. fix a counter beam to 4 joist 1/3 out and parallel to the wall ... and
the same for other wall, and support your 'bits' from the centre of these
counter beams ..... joists are at their strongest at the 1/3rd points.
(send me a mail if this is unclear)

Rick

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a detached double garage, which was built about 6 years ago by
McAlpine.

I want to rig up a 'chain block' to do some lifting.. I am only
planning to lift a max of 200kgs and wonder if my joists will take this
kind of load.

The plan I had was to put a bar along a number of joists (Probably 4),
to spread the load a little.

Would this be safe?

Jon

conflicting advice on roof repair [email protected] Home Repair 2 October 31st 05 09:49 PM
locating roof joists gd226 Home Repair 7 September 1st 05 01:37 AM
Figuring loads / block & tackle theory The Other Harry Home Repair 152 March 20th 04 07:55 PM
Garage - timber for roof trusses Paul UK diy 1 August 18th 03 09:27 AM
garage roof felt Richard UK diy 3 July 11th 03 12:40 PM