Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Decorating - hairline crack

Hairline crack

I have a couple of fine cracks in the skim of my kitchen from when it was
extended. (skim on Plasterboard)
Just wondering what to do before redecorating (emulsion). Do I need to rake
them out a bit to use a filler - or is there something really thin - like
PVA that will prevent the crack from showing again?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
Hairline crack

I have a couple of fine cracks in the skim of my kitchen from when it
was extended. (skim on Plasterboard) Just wondering what to do before
redecorating (emulsion). Do I need to rake them out a bit to use a
filler - or is there something really thin - like PVA that will prevent
the crack from showing again?

Rake it out and use decorator's caulk, which is flexible. You may need to
fill it a few times as it shrinks as it dries. But should last well when
done. Everything else I've tried seems to just crack again.

--
*Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 Jan 2021 15:11:28 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I have a couple of fine cracks in the skim of my kitchen from when

it
was extended. (skim on Plasterboard) Just wondering what to do

before
redecorating (emulsion). Do I need to rake them out a bit to use a
filler - or is there something really thin - like PVA that will

prevent
the crack from showing again?

Rake it out and use decorator's caulk, which is flexible. You may need
to fill it a few times as it shrinks as it dries. But should last well
when done.

As Dave says, rake out and fill. I've not had problems using ordinary
powder filler. Wet the raked out crack before applying a fairly stiff
mix of filler. Wait a bit until the filler is getting quite firm,
dampen and polish like one would plaster. Leave to set/dry then wipe
down with a damp cloth, saves all that messy sanding down.

Everything else I've tried seems to just crack again.

Thats indicates things are moving very slighly relative to each
other. I'd use decorators caulk between wall and arcitraves/skirting
as the timber will move either from vibration from the door and/or
variations in humidty.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Everything else I've tried seems to just crack again.

Thats indicates things are moving very slighly relative to each
other. I'd use decorators caulk between wall and arcitraves/skirting
as the timber will move either from vibration from the door and/or
variations in humidty.

Assuming it is a crack on the skim between two sheets, it's safe to assume
it's moving. And will move again.

Ordinary filler is fine where there is zero movement.

--
*Why is the third hand on the watch called a second hand?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Everything else I've tried seems to just crack again.

Thats indicates things are moving very slighly relative to each
other. I'd use decorators caulk between wall and arcitraves/skirting
as the timber will move either from vibration from the door and/or
variations in humidty.

Assuming it is a crack on the skim between two sheets, it's safe to
assume it's moving. And will move again.

Ordinary filler is fine where there is zero movement.

I don't think it is moving - initial shrinkage I think.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Everything else I've tried seems to just crack again.

Thats indicates things are moving very slighly relative to each
other. I'd use decorators caulk between wall and arcitraves/skirting
as the timber will move either from vibration from the door and/or
variations in humidty.

Assuming it is a crack on the skim between two sheets, it's safe to
assume it's moving. And will move again.

Ordinary filler is fine where there is zero movement.

I don't think it is moving - initial shrinkage I think.

Then use any old filler. Only time will tell.

--
*Proofread carefully to see if you any words out or mispeld something *