The Natural Philosopher

Default Garden shed with tiled roof? Planning?

Wife wants a new garden shed not to have a felt roof.

No problems with slapping stronger rafters and tiling it but...will this
make it permament and therefore under planning/BCO regs...

Since I need the BCO around anyway elsewhere, can't just do it on the QT.
mrcheerful

Wife wants a new garden shed not to have a felt roof.

No problems with slapping stronger rafters and tiling it but...will this
make it permament and therefore under planning/BCO regs...

Since I need the BCO around anyway elsewhere, can't just do it on the QT.

It is still a temporary building, so if it is the right size and position,
etc. will not need pp even with a tiled roof.

mrcheerful

David Lang

Wife wants a new garden shed not to have a felt roof.

How about felt shingles? I just used some on a pergola I built to shelter
the BBQ and they look just like tiles at a casual glance.

I got mine from Wickes in red, but there are lots of different ones
http://tinyurl.com/9pew2

Dave

keith_765

"David Lang" wrote in message

Wife wants a new garden shed not to have a felt roof.

How about felt shingles? I just used some on a pergola I built to shelter
the BBQ and they look just like tiles at a casual glance.

I got mine from Wickes in red, but there are lots of different ones
http://tinyurl.com/9pew2

Dave

Not quite sure of the planning on sheds, but I thought that providing it is
not a permanent fixture like with footing and foundations there was not
planning required.
On the aspect of roof covering, take a look at cedar wood shingles.

Andy Hall

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 10:20:19 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Wife wants a new garden shed not to have a felt roof.

No problems with slapping stronger rafters and tiling it but...will this
make it permament and therefore under planning/BCO regs...

Since I need the BCO around anyway elsewhere, can't just do it on the QT.

I did exactly the same thing a couple of years ago with a cabin,
although wanted to use cedar shakes rather than tiles. The
construction was to use a standard boarding arrangement, felt on top
of that (which would have been the normal felt roof), then to batten
and attach the shakes to that.

I chose a cabin building with low roof pitch so that I could get
reasonable floor area without needing to go too high. As you
probably know, their are criteria for area, height, distance from
house, proportion of plot use etc.

I talked to both the local building control and planning people about
it and each asked about their relevant set of parameters. The main
one was use (i.e. was I going to use it as habitable space.). I'd
done my homework and had made sure that I was within all of the rules,
so was prepared with answers for all their questions.

I specifically asked about the roof, and it didn't make a difference.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

The Natural Philosopher

David Lang wrote:

Wife wants a new garden shed not to have a felt roof.

How about felt shingles? I just used some on a pergola I built to shelter
the BBQ and they look just like tiles at a casual glance.

I got mine from Wickes in red, but there are lots of different ones
http://tinyurl.com/9pew2

Dave

Thx. Its an idea allright.
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

[...]

Great. Its for tool storage and garden machinery, but since the one 100
yards down the garden got jemmied open by some chavs who came across the
fields, I want one right near the house where it has to conform to SWMBOCO

As against BCO...;-)
Andy Hall

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 01:00:27 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

Great. Its for tool storage and garden machinery, but since the one 100
yards down the garden got jemmied open by some chavs who came across the
fields, I want one right near the house where it has to conform to SWMBOCO

As against BCO...;-)

.... and as we know, this is something to be reckoned with to a far
greater extent than anybody from the council.